Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Muslin

Muslin

Was looking at fabric to make a comforter/quilt for my bed. Found some premium muslin that I fell in love with kinda off white. Anyone ever used this? Any opinions?
    Michelle

I love Muslim, and actually want to tackle a whole cloth using it...I use it a lot for backing and with scraps..It does not take away from the designs you are creating

Blog Entries
    I just did a tumbler quilt and used a Moda Muslin in it. It is sooo soft which is important as this is a baby quilt. I would use it again!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I use lots of muslin too, particularly with 1930's reproduction fabrics and civil war prints. Yes, get the premium which should be preshrunk and permanent press.

Love love premium muslin, use it all the time on several different things, like they said above.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    I love muslin. I always wash it even if preshrunk. It gets nice and soft, perfect for handquilting and makes the back of any quilt look like a wholecloth quilt.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    i use it with 1930s fabrics.. love it..

Thank you all! I just felt it was perfect but wasnt sure, you have reinforced my decision!!!!!!
    Michelle

Blog Entries
    I've completed and started on 3 other quilts all made with Southern Bell Creamy Muslin. They turned out so nice. The one that is completed has been washed a few times and it looks really nice. The person that I gave it too really likes it as well. As long as you use quality muslin you'll be fine.
    Judy

Muslin use to be used all the time in quilts, especially for backings. A good quality muslin can't be beat.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

There's a nice permaprest Muslin available. I've made shirts and done heirloom sewing with it besides craft quilting and curtains. Love the stuff.

Love, love, love using muslin, the unbleached and well as the bleached (white). There are a lot of different ones out there so learn to tell the good ones from the not so good. They also offer some in permapress that are yummy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I just did a tumbler quilt and used a Moda Muslin in it. It is sooo soft which is important as this is a baby quilt. I would use it again!
    Moda muslin is the best! I love it & use it for all my quilt backs. I buy it by the bolt anymore!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I love using muslin with my 30' and civil war. When i first started all quilt backing were done with muslin. Now that has all changed.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I use muslin for quilt backs and have never had a problem. I buy the extra wide at Joann's. It has worn well, looks fine and is reasonably priced.

Blog Entries
    muslin just gets better & better with use & laundering! it makes the softest- most wonderful quilts- whether it is used as a backing, part of the piecing or a whole cloth! i always have yards of good muslin on hand- it also dyes beautifully - so if i want it to be a certain color i can just make it what i want it to be
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Muslin is the basic quilting fabric........I use it for white or natural background in piecing and always use it on my backs....when it is washed it feels like marshmallow...soft and squishy.......I hate the white fabric that is "painted" with a design....eventually that paint wears off and you have plain white muslin.....