Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must I rip out. >

Must I rip out.

Must I rip out.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:22 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Van. Island, BC
Posts: 1,378
Angry Must I rip out.

So mad at myself. Just finished sewing my binding to back and noticed half a row of meandering with the top thread pulled to back. Of course I used a royal blue thread on top and white on the bottom.Now that I have seen it I can't unsee it. Something always happens when I hurry.
true4uca is offline  
Old 10-12-2021, 11:32 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Deep South near Cajun Country, USA
Posts: 4,953
Default

I probably wouldn't worry about it unless it was in an area where you would see it a lot of the time. I had that problem one time and now I always use the same color top & bottom. Seriously, you could always take a pin, tweezers, or whatever and lightly pull those threads up to see if you can bring the seam more into balance. If the seam goes off the edge, you could undo that part of the binding and pull the blue thread to tighten it up and cut the extra off. You may have to hold it on both sides of what you are pulling. If you pull too hard, you might break the thread, so be gentle.
Barb in Louisiana is offline  
Old 10-12-2021, 11:39 AM
  #3  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 39,893
Default

Chances are when the quilt is washed, the batting will puff up a bit and the thread with pull back in. If the distance isn’t too much, I also would use a pin on the top thread stitches and gently tug the top thread a bit.
Tartan is offline  
Old 10-12-2021, 12:22 PM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Van. Island, BC
Posts: 1,378
Default

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Chances are when the quilt is washed, the batting will puff up a bit and the thread with pull back in. If the distance isnít too much, I also would use a pin on the top thread stitches and gently tug the top thread a bit.
I will wash it later and hope for the best, really not into ripping out. I didn't do anything to fix it while sewing but the next row was fine, must have gremlins in my machine.
true4uca is offline  
Old 10-12-2021, 07:51 PM
  #5  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Van. Island, BC
Posts: 1,378
Default Yeah

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
I will wash it later and hope for the best, really not into ripping out. I didn't do anything to fix it while sewing but the next row was fine, must have gremlins in my machine.
Just finished washing my quilt. All the thread is good, such a nice surprise as a couple spots the blue thread was at least a 1/4 inch loop.
true4uca is offline  
Old 10-13-2021, 06:00 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,067
Default

So glad it worked out for you! Isn't it wonderful how that final wash will sometimes resolve stitching issues?? I've been doing quite a bit of quilting for me and started one day off with the wrong bobbin... in my case it was gold on top and royal blue on the bottom and gold/gold thread was not my goal, so I had to take it out. Fortunately, it wasn't all that much, just an hour of "reverse sewing".

Currently I'm doing the hand binding on another top, my machine broke while doing this one and had to go to the shop, about 90% of the quilting is great. About 10% has some pretty bad eyelashing. I've decided to get the binding on and wash first and see how it reacts... I think most of it will be ok. Maybe one entire row will need to be redone but maybe not. Won't know until I'm done.
Iceblossom is offline  
Old 10-13-2021, 06:31 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
juliasb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waterford Michigan
Posts: 6,533
Default

I wouldn't pull it out. Quilts are resilient and when washed those threads may be hidden. Now I would love to see a picture of it.
juliasb is offline  
Old 10-13-2021, 06:54 AM
  #8  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Van. Island, BC
Posts: 1,378
Default

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
So glad it worked out for you! Isn't it wonderful how that final wash will sometimes resolve stitching issues?? I've been doing quite a bit of quilting for me and started one day off with the wrong bobbin... in my case it was gold on top and royal blue on the bottom and gold/gold thread was not my goal, so I had to take it out. Fortunately, it wasn't all that much, just an hour of "reverse sewing".

Currently I'm doing the hand binding on another top, my machine broke while doing this one and had to go to the shop, about 90% of the quilting is great. About 10% has some pretty bad eyelashing. I've decided to get the binding on and wash first and see how it reacts... I think most of it will be ok. Maybe one entire row will need to be redone but maybe not. Won't know until I'm done.
I know I said loopes but the correct term is eyelashes. A few were at least a 1/4 inch. So wash before to unset.
true4uca is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.