My "new" Vesta hand crank

Old 09-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Neat machine! :)
Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

That is cool
Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 PM

She's a beauty!! Muv's videos are wonderful to watch.

I bought some Maas Metal polish and it does an unbelievable job cleaning up the metal parts of the machine. Here are some 'before' and 'afters' of a machine that I'm cleaning up for a friend.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-263773.jpe   attachment-263774.jpe   attachment-263775.jpe   attachment-263776.jpe   attachment-263780.jpe  

Old 09-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

I bought some Maas Metal polish and it does an unbelievable job cleaning up the metal parts of the machine. Here are some 'before' and 'afters' of a machine that I'm cleaning up for a friend.
That is a big difference!! I'm going to have to purchase some of that.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

That is a big difference!! I'm going to have to purchase some of that.
This is the blog that I saw it on:

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/polish

Check out his other posts....they are so-o-o helpful for anyone just getting into fixing up vintage machines.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 PM

Thank you everyone! It's been too hot to want to work on that cutie... About 92 degrees, and high heat just doesn't agree with me.

i appreciate all the advise and links.

cabbagepatchkid, where did you get that stuff? Car parts store, Walmart?

Charlee, thanks for giving the ad a look-see for me. Because of you and the others on the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop I have four "new" machines.

I'm naming them after my "babies". This one is named Penny, after the red Doberman you can read about in the link you see in my signature line.
I'll try to get pictures of Mahana, Stormy and Emily, but we'll see...
Old 10-01-2011, 02:14 AM
Muv

Hello Celeste,

Thanks for your message. Lucky you! Vestas are lovely machines. You have a vibrating shuttle from probably late 1920s or early 1930s. It will thread up the same as a Singer, so watch my Youtube videos about Singer long bobbin machines - we've done videos for the top thread, bobbin winding, and adjusting the tension. It's not the same as the Vesta on Youtube, which is a transverse shuttle.

If you want to see pictures of pretty Vestas, look at http://www.sewmuse.co.uk For the history of the company and a couple more pictures, look at http://www.sewalot.com

Cabbagepatchkid - great job with the metal polish! You realise I am looking at your photos and itching to get the tension discs off to polish them too... To get into that groove in the screw (or is it a nut) at the end once you've taken it off, tie some crochet cotton around a chair leg, smear a little bit of metal polish onto the cotton, then rub the screw up and down the cotton.

Also, cabbagepatchkid, I use the same tube of stuff to polish up my accent to prevent it from going green.

I don't give the name of my metal polish on the videos because I can't do anything that looks like advertising on Youtube, and there are lots of different brand names around the world anyway. My stuff is called Peek.

As for woodwork, have a look at http://www.treadlelady.com Also there's a thread on here called "Stripping a machine for clean up" which gives tips on cleaning the wood.

We have great fun doing our Youtube videos, and getting the feedback from QB is wonderful. It's a great thrill tracking where our videos have been viewed. So far we have counted 110 different countries (the latest are Luxembourg and the Sudan), and the Vesta video is viewed mainly in Eastern Europe.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Thank you Muv! I did see your cleaning video, and one showing how a hand crank works. Frankly, that is what made me want to get one!

I would have tried to use your Vesta videos if you hadn't let me know....
Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Muv

Celeste - all the best with the cleaning! It's the ideal job for long winter evenings. Let me know when you've finished and be sure to post pictures. Don't feel you have to rush. I bought my Vesta before my oldest son was born, then shoved it in a cupboard and didn't clean it up until last year. My son is now 22.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Muv
I bought my Vesta before my oldest son was born, then shoved it in a cupboard and didn't clean it up until last year. My son is now 22.
Well, that certainly takes all the pressure off! 8-)