Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Ah-Ha moment!! (scroll down to see the actual Ah-Ha)

While In OKC last week with DH, (His business trip & my fun trip) I had an ah-ha moment while sewing on my little Brother. DH bought me this machine for this trip. It doesn't have a 1/4" foot.
    First I measured 1/4" from the needle & used several layers of painters tape as a guide. (Like I did for my vintage machines.)

As I sewed I kept my finger on the edge fo the "guide" & my fabric to keep it in line.
    Name:  Attachment-271784.jpe
Views: 547
Size:  28.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    great idea

Blog Entries
    But, of course !!!

Welcome to the crowd! This is a favorite technique of mine - although I use moleskin/molefoam instead of painters tape. It's a lot harder to take off of the machine when I want to do something other than quilting, though ;).

When I came to the end of my 'ender' squares it tried to wonder off. Even though it was just an ender I do want it to be part of my postage stamp quilt, so I don't want it to wonder off.

Here's the ah-ha moment! If I just switch my finger to the left of the pressure foot I can control the 1/4 inch to the very end!!!!
    Name:  Attachment-271787.jpe
Views: 559
Size:  27.7 KB

That is a good idea and also a good way to use those magnetic business cards you get from businesses, they aren't strong enough to hurt your little electronic machine and they work great on the old vintage ones that are all metal.

Good idea! I have a 1/4" foot but have never liked it. Too narrow to hold the fabric steady. I used instead a "bridge" made of first aid tape just like you did. Works great.

I keep rolls of blue painters tape in the office, the shop, the sewing room...love that tape!

Blog Entries
    Gee - we didn't let her finish but I will say again "But, of course". Always learning and I think it's great that you have shared this with everyone .....

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    Gee - we didn't let her finish but I will say again "But, of course". Always learning and I think it's great that you have shared this with everyone .....
    It's OK!!!!
    It took a lot longer to load those picts than I thought !!! I didn't even know ya'll had posted till I was through posting. :oops:
    I figured that lot's of people had figured it out, but maybe it'll help those who haven't. I love this board 'cause we all share & help at all levels!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dublb
    While In OKC last week with DH, (His business trip & my fun trip) I had an ah-ha moment while sewing on my little Brother. DH bought me this machine for this trip. It doesn't have a 1/4" foot.
    First I measured 1/4" from the needle & used several layers of painters tape as a guide. (Like I did for my vintage machines.)
    I did this back before there was such a thing as a 1/4" foot. A layer of post-it notes works too.

Blog Entries
    And to add to your AHA moment, that is another thing I have always done. Since I have been an apparel sewer much longer than I have been a quilter, in apparel sewing you always have to keep that edge straight.

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    And to add to your AHA moment, that is another thing I have always done. Since I have been an apparel sewer much longer than I have been a quilter, in apparel sewing you always have to keep that edge straight.
    I wish I had known it when I was sewing clothes!!! :oops: I'll use it with all of my machines from now on, even with the ones with a 1/4" foot!!!!

Blog Entries
    :thumbup:

Post-it note pads work great too...!

I love recycling ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
    Good idea! I have a 1/4" foot but have never liked it. Too narrow to hold the fabric steady. I used instead a "bridge" made of first aid tape just like you did. Works great.

I keep rolls of blue painters tape in the office, the shop, the sewing room...love that tape!
    The tape is also good for securing plastic bags over arm casts before showering. The cast was needed because this Mimi slipped as she was going down a water slide with GD this summer - Ouch!! Cast is off and I can quilt again!!!

I have used mounting tape and removed it when finished with my project. It is raised a little to keep things in place for you. Just a little tip :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am teaching my 11 year old granddaughter and her friend to sew. I use the painter's tape on their machines so that they can sew a straight seam of the correct width. The painter's tape guide has really helped them. I notice that now when their seam width changes, the girls change their painter's tape line. They love this help!

I love painter's tape! I use it everywhere. Seam guides. Even on my rulers. Really keeps strips straight...............

I had an Ah-Ha moment like yours a few months ago when it suddenly dawned on me that since the Gem Gold machine that I take to Sew Ins had snap on feet the feet from my old Brother would fit the Gem too.

wow, such an easy solution...thanks for sharing.....

A "wide" rubber band works well - otherwise two narrow rubber bands, twisted to make as ridge work well.

Marysewfun

Never thought of using those magnetic Business cards - love that idea, too

At a class last week the teacher (Karla Alexander) used the photo mount tape as an edge. Love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotlass
    That is a good idea and also a good way to use those magnetic business cards you get from businesses, they aren't strong enough to hurt your little electronic machine and they work great on the old vintage ones that are all metal.

This is what I love about this QB ... so many great ideas to share!

Great idea! I marked my first machine with a permanent marker for 1/4" sewing and for sewing half-square triangles the quick way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast