Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My attempt to make a purse of a bowtucks tote pattern.

My attempt to make a purse of a bowtucks tote pattern.

There is a thread already: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...k-t187290.html
    Name:  Purse_004.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  51.7 KBName:  Purse_003.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  74.0 KBName:  Purse_012.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  54.1 KBName:  Purse_009.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  77.5 KBName:  Purse_008.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  50.6 KB

I custom made the inner pockets to fit all my "junk" into. The problem is they are all too close to the top, so stuff will fall out.

There is no room to insert a zipper or anything. I think I may try to put magnetic snaps in. There is already a super magnet top center.
    :-)
    CAS

btw the bottom is stiff because I inserted acrylic plate and screwed "feet" into it, hoping to keep the bag off the surface it sits on.
    CAS

Oh, and the cross body padded straps are supposed to help alleviate my neck and back problems. Ok, I posted way too much info about this. Thanks for looking! If you have any ideas to help the top of it, great! I barely fit the layers into my machine.
    CAS

Power Poster
    What a nice purse.

What I've done when I wanted the top closed after it was done- Make a flap and sew onto one side, on the other side either put in a magnetic snap or velcro. You might have to work at the snap or velcro since you have the pockets inside. The other option would be an elastic & button. You could open the top seam a little and insert a pony tail elastic into the seam and resew.
    Good luck. If all else fails, you can make another one. I'm always making changes to my patterns and making another one.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

This is a clever use of part of the jeans for the outside pocket!!! I'll bet it was a job to get your machine to sew through all of those layers!!! Great job!!!
    Last edited by Maggie_Sue; 05-11-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thanks for the suggestion Patty, I was thinking of something like that, but I should have done before I sewed the straps in. They are in place before the lining is sewed to the outer and turned.

Thanks for noticing Maggie, I thought the idea was cute.

It was very hard sewing through all these layers. I was going to turn the pocket and ended up using the serger.
    CAS

In case anyone is still following this ... I opened up the strap seams near the purse and inserted magnetic snaps. I started putting all my stuff in last night but got discouraged. I think I may remove the custom liner and insert it in a bought purse, and use the denim outer for a tote.
    CAS

Nice purse!

The magnetic "snaps" would not hold the straps together, so I went to a local upholstery store and they put snaps in for me. Two on the main compartment and one on each pocket. I no longer have to worry about things falling out. Now I just have to decide if it is bulky and awkward, especially with the firm bottom.
    CAS

Way to go! I think it looks good and has everything you want in a purse. I keep thinking I will try my hand at making one, but so far I haven't had the gumption to do it. I think it looks great!

I like it. Are you going to share the pattern. I have a purse/bag fetish. LOL As for the stuff falling out of the inside pockets, can you move them? or put velcro on it to seal the pockets shut? Or add small ties to tie the pockets closed.

Diane

Thanks T-Anne.
    Diane I went to an upholstery (bit of everything) store and they put two snaps in the main part and one in each pocket, so my stuff is safe!
    I used ps008 Bow Tucks Tote pattern. I think I found it on ebay. I just searched and there are more on ebay. I should put mine on there! Here's a link to a pic of it: http://www.licketystitchquilts.com/s...cks%20Tote.htm
    CAS