Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My blood on my quilt >

My blood on my quilt

My blood on my quilt

Old 03-27-2018, 05:19 AM

Default My blood on my quilt

I recently tried the "spit test" to remove blood from a pillow case, and it was great! But I discovered blood spots on the back of a lap size quilt (probably predates using Clover Clips!) that have been there probably 4-5 years, and my spit is doing nothing. I am still sewing on the binding, so can't wash it yet, but I doubt that the spots are going to come out. Live and learn?
Old 03-27-2018, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

Probably with the blood being there for 4-5 years you are not so likely going to get it out.

I've had very good luck with the "spit test" for blood removal when done while it is fresh.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:33 AM

My blood spots were dry on white Kona 100% cotton fabric and it took quite a bit of my saliva and time to remove it. By the time I finished my fabric was soaking wet. When discussing this action with a friend she said that saline solution works just as well. I have not tried that. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:47 AM

Try peroxide on a on a cotton ball or on a corner on a white wash cloth and gently rub the blood. Don't ask me why I pick my fingers with needles sometimes.....works all the time.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:38 AM

Old, dried blood can be a challenge to get out, especially if the quilt has been put in the dryer. But here are some things worth a try (separately, not mixed together):
White vinegar (soak for 30 min, then rinse)
Toothpaste (rub gently onto fabric, let dry, then rinse)
Hydrogen peroxide (dab onto blood, soak for 30 min, then rinse)
Meat tenderizer (be careful... wet fabric, sprinkle on, let dry, then rinse)
I hope it works, but my motto is, 'a quilt isn't a quilt without a drop of blood on it'.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

I've had success using a mix of hydrogen peroxide and Dawn. Add a little cold water too. The mix is successful on colored stuff, and whites.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
I recently tried the "spit test" to remove blood from a pillow case, and it was great! But I discovered blood spots on the back of a lap size quilt (probably predates using Clover Clips!) that have been there probably 4-5 years, and my spit is doing nothing. I am still sewing on the binding, so can't wash it yet, but I doubt that the spots are going to come out. Live and learn?
I've always used a bar of Ivory soap and it will even remove or at least dull down old blood spots. Put a towel under the spots then use a wet cloth(cold water) with a good amount of the soap on it and rub it into the stains. If possible leaving the soap in the fabric for a while will help. Use a wet cloth to rub out the soap. Blot with a dry towel and let dry. If after drying there seems to be a stain around the area that is residue of the soap. Rinse again and it will come out.
If the stains are dulled at first you can repeat the process to see if it might remove them completely. Worth a try.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:47 AM

I've had good luck with a soak in plain old cold water and then rubbing a bit before washing. If the stains are that old, I'm not sure it would work. I guess you have to explain to people that there is your blood, sweat and tears in the making of that quilt