Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My brains have turned to spaghetti - - - >
  • My brains have turned to spaghetti - - -

• My brains have turned to spaghetti - - -

Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM

Default My brains have turned to spaghetti - - -

OMG I have just spent two days trying to sew a simple purse (or so I thought) I wanted one with pockets on the inside and really wanted to try the Bow Tucks that has been so popular on this board. But, a few of you had some problems with it and I thought I found an easier one that would fill the bill. It's the 'Grids and Grommets' by Indygo Junction, Inc. I'm still not done!!!!!
    I used to sew clothes for my whole family. Now I'm finding I can not follow a pattern. This has happened since I started quilting. (I can follow quilting patterns, altho usually change it up.) Do any of you have this problem?????
    Old 04-14-2013, 04:58 PM

LOL.....always have trouble with the first one....but now have made so many bowtucks, I can crank one out in about 4 hours.....I usually have to read and reread the instructions before the lightbulb clicks on....stay with it!
    Old 04-14-2013, 05:05 PM

Yes . I've design clothes and made underclothes as well as street clothes. Now quilting is different. I find some patterns are written in such a way as to give me pause as to why I bought the darn thing. I just finish a notions carry all. I have several carry alls and didn't need this one. I refused to give it up. I'll post the picture tomorrow and show you. My heart goes out to you. But refuse to give up. And post some pictures.:]
    Old 04-14-2013, 05:06 PM

I agree with Buckeye, just stick with it! I also find patterns confusing the first time around, even those that are geared towards beginner seam-stressing. In addition to quilting, I sew medieval/fantasy garb for Dagorhir. I need to get back to that because the season just started but I'm dreading switching over my sewing room and digging out those patterns again!
    Old 04-14-2013, 05:22 PM

Your not alone! A friend of mine was looking for a diaper bag and I offered to make it for her. We went together to pick the pattern and fabric. I took me many many hours to put it together and a lot of the time was spent unsewing. I feel like the instructions and pictures are just not very well written. About the only thing I got right the first time was cutting the pattern and the fabric!
    Old 04-14-2013, 05:27 PM

I made one of the Tulip purses. I had a friend tell me each and every step to take, and nothing more. She would say, "sew this piece to this piece right here". I would go sew that and then go back for the next step. I think I'm hopeless at making purses.
    Old 04-14-2013, 07:30 PM

I bought that pattern awhile back but haven't gotten to it yet. I'll be sure and read and re-read the directions when I do!
    Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 PM

I've been sewing for 55 years! Quilting for 10. I have unsewn more in the last 10 years than all the years I spent making clothes. I have also had problems following instructions, so if you can just stick with it for awhile, it will be ok. I think we all have that happen every so often.
    Old 04-14-2013, 08:01 PM

No but some are better written than others. there have been a few I had to read several times before I understood what they meant.
    Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 AM

I find I buy patterns from USA and have problems understanding the words. The differences between our two countries.