Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My dad asked for a Quilt >

My dad asked for a Quilt

My dad asked for a Quilt

Old 04-07-2018, 11:45 AM

Default My dad asked for a Quilt

My dad is 82 years old and has asked for a lap quilt. He is in dyalisis and he gets really cold . I am so excited but nervous. Never thought he would want me to make one. His mom made quilts and they have a ton of hers. But I guess he wants a smaller one. I need to hurry up and get started. Even though I have mine to finish and some train pillows for my husband to sale at a train shows. So many ideas but no time. I think my dads will be a priority so that I can take it to him within a month. Will splurge on a precuts.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:20 PM

How special. It will be great to wrap him in love for those treatments.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:25 PM

So sweet of him to want something that you have made for his time in dialysis. Precuts sound like a good way to go. You may want to think about backing it with a good grade of flannel so it won't slip off his lap as easily. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:46 PM
DJ

I'll bet you feel honored to have been asked! I know you will do a beautiful and loving job of making him a quilt.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

You might want to splurge on wool batting too (Hobbs or Quilter's Dream). It is washable, but lightweight and warm. It also shows quilting beautifully.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:12 PM

Are you planning to back with flannel? It's so much warmer and softer against the skin. Enjoy making this very special quilt!
Old 04-07-2018, 02:51 PM

My dad was on dialysis for a year before he passed away. He was always cold too. He liked fleece on the back because it was soft and warm. You can add a light weight batting in the middle.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:27 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Fat Quarter Shop has a neat free lap quit pattern made with one layer cake and one set of charms. By all means, use fleece as backing. When I do that, there is no batting. The fleece is warm enough. But add batting if you want to be super warm.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:02 PM

I, too, was going to suggest flannel but the fleece might work just as well. Or, you could use the fleece as the batting and still back w/flannel to make it super warm and no so expensive if that is a consideration?? Good luck. Your Dad will love anything you make for him.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:36 AM

Default dialysis quilts

Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
My dad is 82 years old and has asked for a lap quilt. He is in dyalisis and he gets really cold . I am so excited but nervous. Never thought he would want me to make one. His mom made quilts and they have a ton of hers. But I guess he wants a smaller one. I need to hurry up and get started. Even though I have mine to finish and some train pillows for my husband to sale at a train shows. So many ideas but no time. I think my dads will be a priority so that I can take it to him within a month. Will splurge on a precuts.
I think its great you are making him a quilt. Yes they are in really cold rooms and this really keeps them warm. My first year in quilting with a group they had a project to make a quilt for everyone on dialysis at one of the centers in our town. I think our group made around 80 and one member quilted them all. She is awesome. At Christmas they delivered all the quilts and each patient got to pick the one they wanted. I thought how great this was to share our craft. They make quilts for kids all the time and now are working on another project for the kids. I think sharing our gifts and our time reward everyone involved. I hope your father enjoys his quilt.