Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Featherweight has no accessories. >

My Featherweight has no accessories.

My Featherweight has no accessories.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 AM

I was finally able to unwrap my birthday Featherweight yesterday! Her case is a little beat up and the handle is a piece of metal, and she has no accessories. The bobbin case is there and one foot, her light works and she runs. I haven't threaded her yet - I downloaded the owners manual today so I can.
I plan to use her for piecing and was wondering if I need to get any other accessories. I have already purchased the correct bobbins, needles, a spare belt and oil for her.
Thanks for any help. I will post a picture when she has had a bath :)
Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by carslo
I was finally able to unwrap my birthday Featherweight yesterday! Her case is a little beat up and the handle is a piece of metal, and she has no accessories. The bobbin case is there and one foot, her light works and she runs. I haven't threaded her yet - I downloaded the owners manual today so I can.
I plan to use her for piecing and was wondering if I need to get any other accessories. I have already purchased the correct bobbins, needles, a spare belt and oil for her.
Thanks for any help. I will post a picture when she has had a bath :)
For piecing? All you need is the straight stitch foot. Other attachments are kind of fun to play with, but not necessary. Enjoy your new baby!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:48 AM

You could get a short shank 1/4" foot for piecing. About $16.00 at most sewing machine dealers and worth every penny.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by peacebypiece
You could get a short shank 1/4" foot for piecing. About $16.00 at most sewing machine dealers and worth every penny.
I agree. If you wanted to get the attachments, I have purchased them on Ebay for some of the machines I have that did not come with them... Really not that expensive. I never use them but, they are fun to have.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM

If you have another short shank machine, the attachments may fit. I'm hoping my 'new' Necchi can share my Elna's feet. I know it can't share with the 301 because the 301 is a slant needle shank.

Enjoy your birthday girl and happy birthday.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:05 AM

Thank you for the wishes!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Banned

A word of caution which may no longer be true with new feet.
Several years ago I bought a wider foot for my FW. I pieced squares using both sides of the foot as a guide. They didn't fit and I discovered that the distance from the needle to the left edge was sightly different than the distance from the needle to the right side. So be sure and measure if you switch sides while piecing. one side measured 1/4" and the other side didn't.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:47 AM

I have five Featherweights and bought almost all the attachments for practically nothing from Ebay. Although I may not use them all, it does increase the value of your machine to have at least the basic set of attachments that came with the machine originally.
I've also purchased attachments which I couldn't seem to locate from a gentleman online. Google Featherweight Poppy. He's extremely honest and very dependable.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 AM

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 AM

If you do quilting/piecing most of the time the only accessory you really need is the low shank 1/4 " foot. They usually are available at any good sewing machine dealer with repair department. You won't save any $ going to eBay.