Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My finger hurts from being poked. >

My finger hurts from being poked.

My finger hurts from being poked.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:12 PM

How do you keep from poking your finger? My finger is do sore and has kind of a calluse. But still sore. I tried to quilt with a band-aid on it, but it doesn't feel right. What do I do????

Also how do your ladies quilt with such a big quilt on your lap. I know our grandmothers and great-grandmothers did it but how ??????? I tried with a hoop and it was hard. So I gave up and put it on the big frame to do.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

Many on here get sore fingers until they get a big callus built up. Or you can try finding a thimble that will work for you. They come in silicone, leather, metal... try some on to see what feels right :D:D:D
Old 05-22-2010, 06:15 PM

I will try any thing. Thank you.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:15 PM

Yep, I can't handquilt with anything on the under finger and just have to suffer until I get that callus.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:17 PM

I don't hand quilt, but when I hand sew the binding on, I pad my 'pushing' finger with several layers of masking tape. That works pretty good, but I just bought a Clover open-sided thimble to try. It is size adjustable and doesn't cover the whole finger tip. I've just never been able to tolerate a regular thimble. There are also some sticky backed circle patches for sale for use on finger tips. Got my thimble from Connecting Threads.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

I have heard that liquid bandaid on the under finger helps. I'm going to try it. I use Clover leather thimble it is the best I have found.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:42 PM

I am not a handquilter (although one of these days I will learn) so I don't know if this will work or not, but I use those sticky finger pads when I do any kind of hand stitching.

These are what I use, http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd12974

They stick on really good and if you use your needle in the same spot on your finger all the time you will eventually wear a little divit in the pad and its easier to "hold" the needle in that divit.

I have seen some talk about the Aunt Becky's Finger Protector and I think with a laptop hoop it might just work. They sure make it look so easy! lol
http://www.quilterstv.com/channel/video/0?video=1452 (once the video starts click on browse videos and then scroll down to and click on Hand Quilting- Quilting from the Heartland)
Old 05-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I have heard that liquid bandaid on the under finger helps. I'm going to try it. I use Clover leather thimble it is the best I have found.
apply several layers of liquid bandaid before you start, it will give you a protective layer, yet you can still feel what you are doing. I also agree the Clover leather thimble it is the best.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:43 PM

I am a hand quilter and have been for too many years to talk about. This is what I use. sometimes I use two layers. You can get it at any drug store. Make sure it is the clear flexible. Not the paper. I use it until I wear a hole in it about 1-2 hours. I still feel the needle with this tape. I still get a mildly sore finger and once I get the callus that goes away. It is a lot less expensive than the finger pads you buy for quilting.

I have used it since it was made by Johnson and Johnson, then it was only 1/2 wide, I liked the thinner better.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp75866_33..._x_252_in_.htm

I have an Aunt Becky too. I have taken the class and can't wait until I get the technique down, but takes practice and time.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Merrilin
How do you keep from poking your finger? My finger is do sore and has kind of a calluse. But still sore. I tried to quilt with a band-aid on it, but it doesn't feel right. What do I do????

Also how do your ladies quilt with such a big quilt on your lap. I know our grandmothers and great-grandmothers did it but how ??????? I tried with a hoop and it was hard. So I gave up and put it on the big frame to do.
I pin, pin, pin and quilt without a hoop or frame. I've gotten pretty good at keeping my stitches and tension even. If it is a large quilt I drape part of it over a bar stool or coffee table. When I did more hand quilting I did it in the winter!LOL! Now I have a quilting machine. However there are still times when I just like the repetitive motion of hand quilting. It is so calming.