Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first ever quilt-I need help! >

My first ever quilt-I need help!

My first ever quilt-I need help!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by becky191985
I know it's huge but at least it would get used (if it doesn't all go ridiculously wrong! :lol: )more than a lap blanket. :D
Becky, it sounds as if the quilt you are visualizing will be beautiful, but if one of your concerns about size is that it will be used, Martina is right. With all those different fabrics together, as well as the size, it is going to be almost impossible to wash. So, that being said, will the recipient either hang it on a wall, or put it on a bed in a guest room where it won't get any real use? Cause you REALLY don't want to put all that effort into the quilt and then have it fall apart the first time it is washed.

Your quilt top (front), and batting (padding) and backing must all be connected somehow, or the batting will move around and wad up in places and disappear in others.

I wish you luck. Be sure and let us see your finished product, and even your progress!!
Old 05-30-2009, 08:46 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

there are plenty of famous quilters out there that have just jumped in just like you have and done it their way and are happy to do so. They make stunning quilts and dont follow any pattern and let their creative juices flow..I wish i could be like that!
I on the other hand am not like you and think about every step before i start, not a good way to get things done and more often than not i talk myself out of it before I start! My advice is IF you need help to learn watch simply quilts and any other programs like it..if you are on a budget go to the library and get books/CDs out that show you all kinds of techniques. Also the people on this board are full of great ideas and advice from techniques to websites. Above all if you enjoy what you do and look forward to quilting then you go girl as that is what it is all about...