Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My first GFG is done!

My first GFG is done!

I finally finished by first GFG - sewn by hand. I started out with a twin size in mind but changed to a lap quilt as it progressed. I didn't know how bad my hands could hurt after working on this quilt! The quilting will be done by machine for sure! Gives me a whole new appreciate for anything hand quilted. I'll post some pictures when I get that figured out.

Blog Entries
    glad you are done. you can visit the QB Help center for threads that are helpful on how to post pictures
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Would love to see a pic of it how big are your pieces ? I have been working on and off on one for several years ....hhhmmmm need to find it I think it is buried at the moment in WIPs LOL
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I'm working on one myself. How are you going to have it quilted? Everyone says I will have to quilt it by hand and quilt around each hexagon. Not sure I'll live long enough to get that done!

That's great!
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by judys View Post
    I'm working on one myself. How are you going to have it quilted? Everyone says I will have to quilt it by hand and quilt around each hexagon. Not sure I'll live long enough to get that done!
    You don't HAVE to do anything!! You can quilt it any way you want!!

I am starting one too.
    I like that it is a truly mobile project. I do a few while waiting for my kid finish a sum, and I can bring it anywhere.
    My hexagons have 1 inch sides. I estmate it will take me a few years to get it done (working on and off). I told my kid - you know why it called Grandmother's flower garden? Because I would be a grandmother by the time it is done!

Yes, about quilting, I've seen a few on ebay. Like this vintage GFG below won at $600+.
    (This is not mine. This is a vintage quilt on ebay. The auction that just ended a few days ago.)
    Name:  $(KGrHqF,!nUE-wm1kJRTBP1UZVukjg~~60_57.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  635.2 KB
    It is quilted around the hexagons. The overall effect is stunning. But I would never be able to do that! 100% admiration for anyone who does this!
    Last edited by liont; 07-05-2012 at 01:19 PM.