Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first longarm class!! >

My first longarm class!!

My first longarm class!!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

How wonderful. I bet you will love FMQ now too.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by lucylockett
I was just at my LQS and the owner was showing me her new longarm machine. She plans to offer classes to teach us how to use it. She will require that we buy the leaders for approx. $90. and the classes will cost approx. $110. After we do this, the machine will be available for rent for $15 hourly. Is this is line with the cost at your LQS?

How is it going for you. Easier or harder than you thought? I'm interested to hear about your experience.

JanetM,
I had my first longarm machine class today. The was from 9am-1pm and cost $50. We watched a video on Handiquilter and the shop owner stopped it from time to time and we went to her HQ longarms for some hands-on. I enjoyed the class and learned a lot! We will have to purchase our own leader cloth (in the long run it saves money when we can sew/pin our quilt pieces to the leader at home before we get to the shop). She charges $15/hour to use the longarm-same as your LQS. We also have to purchase our own needles and bobbins to use each time we come in. Finances won't permit me to make the plunge right now, but I enjoyed learning about it anyway!
Thanks for your response. I don't have room for a longarm nor do I really want to invest a ton of money for one. I am not interested in starting a quilting business but I would like to be able to quilt my own projects.
I'm giving the option of learning how to quilt and renting the machine some serious consideration...might be a good option for me. :D
Old 05-19-2010, 08:59 AM

Yep. JanetM, I'm right there with you. I don't want to quilt for others, and I'd have to make a thousand quilts or so to come out ahead moneywise if I bought a nice LQM for myself. I keep telling my DH if he was so inclined that he could make something for me to use. He's always inventing something, so . . . There's a nitch to be filled for people like us, sooner or later someone will come up with a good, portable, user-friendly machine for the home quilter.

Or is it already out there? Quilters, am I missing something here???
Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

You are so lucky. I'm sure this is really the best way to complete your quilt WITH YOUR OWN LONGARM. I hope my DH heard that.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Wow Your so Lucky, I would love a Longarm The nicest thing about quilting is that (for Me) I have never been "Artsie" but when you start sewing the beautiful pieces of fabric together, you create your own beautiful art. Enjoy your Longarm.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Bobbielinks, I agree with you, it's important to breathe. As I am learning to use a longarm, I find that having music on helped me to relax. Enjoy!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 PM

Here is a home option that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It is the system that I have *s*

http://www.baysidequilting.com/warmwishes.htm
Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 PM

I'm going to take my first class on the 25th, next week, can't wait. sounds like fun. Our shop charges 25.00 the first two hours and then 15.00 an hour after that so sounds like a deal to me. I'm ouilting my grandsons biker bug quilt. Hope it turns out good.

Cookie
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Banned

How exciting, I would love that. you have fun with your class and your new skill. God bless. Penny
Old 05-20-2010, 04:50 AM

I purchased a used HQ16 a year ago and just love it. However, prior to that I had considered having a machine stretched. There is someone in Las Vegas who cuts a machine and stretches the centre portion, both top and bottom. I have seen photos and you would never know that it wasn't made that way. Gives you lots more room to move the quilt. I'll try to get the name of the place again if any of you are interested.