Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first OBW and I'm STUCK! >

My first OBW and I'm STUCK!

My first OBW and I'm STUCK!

Old 04-16-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
In the book, the author says to put the straight grain of the fabric to the outside of the hexagon blocks. I figured that I knew better and took a lot of time turning the triangles to get the 'prettiest' blocks. Well, I'll be darned if she didn't know what she was talking about! The blocks that had the straight of grain on the outside were easier to work with and you are going to be hard pressed to pick out an individual hexagon when you are done. They will all blend in, so the extra time I took playing with each hex to get it pretty was pretty much wasted.
This is incredibly good advice; thank you. Of course, I've cut out my first set of triangles, and grouped them already; I suppose I can return them to straight grain out; I haven't started sewing yet.

Related: I figure I should have spray starched the strips before I cut the triangles to help control those bias edges. Does anyone else do this?

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
BTW, fussy cutting the hexes is what you would do for a Stack and Whack. In this type of quilt, you fussy cut your blocks then use other fabric (usually solids) to isolate and highlight your kalidescope blocks. Because you are surrounding them with a solid color the individual blocks stand out and so fussy cutting them makes sense.
Admission: I guess I *am* doing a Stack & Whack, as I plan to do exactly what you describe. Learning SO much. This is, however, like building the plane while one is flying it... oops!

I'll post progress photos later...

Thanks everyone!

-- Jillaine
Old 04-16-2011, 12:51 PM

I was up until at 3am last night (this morning) cutting and with triangles, until I literally fell asleep at the sewing table!

Then this morning, I pieced the hexagons, re-arranging them so that grain was on the outer edge; as it turned out 50% of my first choices were already aligned that way.

Here is a layout of what it would look like IF I was going to do a OBW (yes, I know, one would not normally piece the full hexagon if one were getting rows ready for a OBW, but I'm going to be doing a different design more like a S&W).

I was also curious to see what it would look like if I were going to do a OBW. I am beginning to see the attraction to this design form. It's fun and it also appeals to my nature of not over-designing, but allowing the design to emerge.

Next step: select from these hexagons those that are most "middle eastern" tile-like and incorporate them into my Middle East quilt (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-111815-1.htm).

Hexagons placed as if I were to do a OBW - can anyone find the boo-boo?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185194[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185188.jpe  
Old 04-16-2011, 12:58 PM

Oh and by the way, that amount up there is from ONE 3.75" strip of each of the 11.5" sections (the repeat width), width of fabric. I have five more strips to go.

I did not, as you advised, split the length of the fabric in two as I did not want to lose any triangles by doing so.

My triangles ended up being 3.75" in height.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:00 PM

I'm sorry (I'm bad at math)-- I have two more strip sets (of six each).
Old 04-16-2011, 02:14 PM

Looking good Jillaine, from right, 1st block with green & red, you're a real "BB" it took me 10 minutes of looking to find it.

Have you decided on how to set them in the tile form yet?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

I don't bother even keeping track of the straight of grain, I turn my triangles all directions and choose which I like best. If you aren't pulling and stretching your pieces, they should lie flat regardless. I've never had any problems. And I ave a couple of hexs in each quilt where I've grouped the tris in three groups of two because I liked that design best.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:14 AM

Thanks, Peg.
What's a "BB"? (Still learning quilt-ese...)

These are up on my design wall (in a different formation) with some of the other blocks I'm working on for the middle eastern rug/tile design. Will post progress to the Middle East topic. ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-111815-1.htm )

-- Jillaine
Old 04-17-2011, 03:14 AM

p.s. thanks for everyone's help. Learning a LOT and already have an idea for a future OBW (this time a real OBW).