Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first round robin - HELP! >

My first round robin - HELP!

My first round robin - HELP!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 PM

Smile My first round robin - HELP!

Hello,
I have been invited to join a group of friends who want to do a round robin. I am a fairly new quilter, and I would love any advice you have on how to choose what style/colors/theme fabrics to choose. We are to all make our center block, and then it will proceed as usual for a round robin. We all live fairly close, so we will be exchanging "bins" every other month. (We all work full time, so we want plenty of time to work on each other's.

Thank you for any advice................(I like tropical colors, purples, pinks, blues, greens, florals, Mary Engelbreit, cooking, baking, whimsical, Christmas, and any fun or unique fabrics.)

Thank you,
igivetlcinob
Old 06-02-2014, 07:02 AM

I'd pick colors I liked and a block I can do and be sure it comes out square. If you pick a multi-colored fabric for a section of the block, then others can use colors that go with that. A word of advice: make sure you square up the edges each time something is added or it can be a nightmare at the end.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:09 AM

Some type of star or heart is always a good choice for the center medallion of a round robin quilt. Also, your center medallion can be rectangular.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:18 AM

look at all the round robins on this site. they are BEAUTIFUL. they should give you an idea of what you make. I have done a block from a BOM that I really liked and used that for a center, I didn't really care for the rest of the blocks it felt to busy for my tastes. I actually just did one with my guild and I used one of the Faith & Hope blocks by McKenna Ryan and it turned out fantastic. I'm actually not sure I posted a photo of it here... I really should.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:19 AM

Welcome to the forum! You can search out previous round robins that have been worked on here to give you some ideas. We have a similar project on the go, except you only work on your own project & Jaba & Brat are giving "rounds" suggestions each month. Have a look through this thread and maybe you can find some inspiration. http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...g-t236801.html
Old 06-02-2014, 12:13 PM

First, plan to have fun! Round Robins are not once-in-a-lifetime, so just pick out something that you love and go with it.....whether it's a holiday theme, pink/purple, or whatever....this is your first, and a learning experience. You can never go wrong with what you love. Then, find a block that you can comfortably make as your center. Make one or four, or enlarge one that you love.... Keep asking us for help if you need it, or ideas along the way, and we'll be happy to help! Can't wait to see what you choose, and how yours turns out!!!
Old 06-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

I enjoy Row Robins a lot more than Round Robins. You are always making one row rather than a border to go all around a top. Sometimes the last couple of rounds are huge.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:09 PM

Thimblebug posted the thread I was going to suggest. It's a fabulous resource and a wealth of information. Lots of very talented quilters on that thread. Read through those pages and you're sure to get loads of ideas.

I would also add: make sure your group decides beforehand on the size increment for each round, i.e., 6 inch, 9 inch, etc. Otherwise, you might be faced with a very strange sized round. ((worst case scenario - add a border to make it a more manageable measurement)).

Also, Google Round Robin or Medallion quilts and you'll get tons of ideas!

Have fun and please share pictures!

Jane