Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My First UFO

My First UFO

I have been working on a quilt about three weeks. First of all the colors that looked good at the store didn't look good put together. Anyone ever have that happen? I was trying "quilt as you go" and didn't like the way it looked plus I have waaay too many mistakes. The fabric I had chosen for spacing between blocks was homespun, so it had a looser weave and I never could get flat edges with it. I kept telling myself I would finish it. I had to just add the border, FMQ that, add the binding, and I was done. So I was adding the border today and realized I didn't have enough fabric for the border or binding. At that point I threw in the towel, not just a hand towel, but a beach towel! A new layer cake I had ordered arrived yesterday and I moved on to that!

Blog Entries
    so...what you are saying is "look dear, i made dust cloths!".....

we've all been there...it's a learning process---is it possible to cut up what you have done and make hot pads or something? or, do we just not want to even look at it?

Blog Entries
    set it aside for a while---after you've been away from it for a bit of a break when you again pick it up it will be easier to finish up...if all else fails- cut it up & make something else out of it! i've made tote bags, rugs, table toppers, placemats (and other things) out of *discarded* quilted projects- that have turned out GREAT! even jackets/vests...you do not have to make it into a quilt you do not like...but do take a break from it- then you can look at it with *fresh eyes*
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

You know, my husband said I should make it a wall hanging. I think that's a possibility.....after a few months of out of sight out of mind! lol

I have been there and i am working on a quilt now that I am wondering if the colors are as I thought they would be.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Leave it for a while, maybe you will be in a better frame of mind and less flustrated with it later and can either finish or make something else out of it!!!!!

Once there was a quilt that gave me the same troubles, this past summer I cut it up into small pieces and burned it in the fire pit out back. For years I struggled with the homespuns and the puckers, it felt good to see it go up in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    ... and less flustrated with it.....
    I don't know if this was intentional, but I think this is a wonderful new word! I cannot tell you the number of times I have felt flustrated while quilting!!

Alison

We had one like that where we hated the coloto finish it upur and had a lot of mistakes. We used scrap fabric to finish it up and gave it to an organization that works with the homeless. The homeless person could care less about colour and mistakes - it was warm!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.