Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first vintage machine >

My first vintage machine

My first vintage machine

Old 10-28-2011, 02:47 PM

I recently got an 1888 Davis machine that was originally in treadle that someone put a funky motor on in the 1930s (most likely from the paper I found with it). Just take the motor off and find a set of irons on eBay or Craigslist. It will happily be a treadle once again!!

Also, go on the Vintage Sewing Machines Virtual Page on here and look for Miriam's list of sources for information on restoring...I just read a lot of those yesterday and tackled my Davis last night with good result. There is a ton of information on the links she provided.

Good luck!! It's a fun project!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the great info!!

Originally Posted by jljack
I recently got an 1888 Davis machine that was originally in treadle that someone put a funky motor on in the 1930s (most likely from the paper I found with it). Just take the motor off and find a set of irons on eBay or Craigslist. It will happily be a treadle once again!!

Also, go on the Vintage Sewing Machines Virtual Page on here and look for Miriam's list of sources for information on restoring...I just read a lot of those yesterday and tackled my Davis last night with good result. There is a ton of information on the links she provided.

Good luck!! It's a fun project!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:36 PM

My grandmother had one similar to this...and there was a treadle across that bar at the bottom. I guess I remember the cabinet more than the machine...but the two drawers on each side, it all brings back memories. No telling what happened to hers...

Yours is beauty!!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Here is a link for repair information - be sure and watch Muv's clean up videos - there are 9 - all very well done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bidpJ..._order&list=UL