Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My genius idea late at night. >

My genius idea late at night.

My genius idea late at night.

Old 07-15-2023, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Default My genius idea late at night.

I have this idea so I will try it tomorrow. I just though of it. I glue baste my quilts with Elmer's school glue. It's fine but I think this idea will be great.
Spread the glue on the batting and let dry on both sides. Then place the top and backing on the batting and steam press. The steam will rejuvenate the glue. Over and done. Will it work? Anyone already thought to try this and can tell me not to bother?
Old 07-15-2023, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

I have tried fusible batting but the batting stuck to it self and made a big mess. I may have gotten a bad batting but hesitant to buy more. If my idea works I can use any batting I like.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

I baste with glue too so will await your results. Try it in a scrap and report back
Old 07-15-2023, 07:44 PM

Late at night is my most active thinking.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:05 AM

Try it on scraps to see what you think. My concern is that the glue might melt into the batting rather then stay on the surface and make a mess of things. Fusible may have special properties to prevent that from happening??
Let us know what your experiment tells you.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:46 AM

Sounds just like an added step and messier. It's going to take a while to dry so you can't do both sides one right after the other. So definately going to eat up more time. I also wouldn't do it ahead of time and fold it up after it is dry, because with air humidity, it will probably glue itself together. I myself, if I did the liquid school glue, would just do it as you are sandwiching it. Why make more work for yourself.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:46 AM

What kind of surface would you use to steam press a whole quilt. You could not use an ironing board because you would have to continually reposition the quilt which I would find very frustrating. Also, how much steam and heat would it need to go all the way through the sandwich and how damp would the whole thing be afterwards.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I have the glue drying on a piece of batting. for a big size i would hang it up in laundry room over night. I use the roller bottle so the glue is a very thin layer so stays in place. As for pressing I set up two six foot folding tables to do my basting so I won't have to move the quilt once positioned. I want to see this to the end, good or bad.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Ok. It worked great. But it took a lot of steam to rehydrate the glue. Too time consuming for a good size quilt and not necessary for anything smaller. Maybe my next idea will not be reinventing the wheel. LOL
Old 07-18-2023, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Ok. It worked great. But it took a lot of steam to rehydrate the glue. Too time consuming for a good size quilt and not necessary for anything smaller. Maybe my next idea will not be reinventing the wheel. LOL
what if you misted the batting first with one of those gizmos that dispense the fine mist to get it started and then iron with steam