Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My GO won't go!

My GO won't go!

There I was cutting scraps into 2 1/2" squares, not overloading...when suddenly I put in a new batch and could only turn handle about half rotation and then it locked......tried the other way, same thing....so I emailed company...response was they have a replacement handle for $10 - which is fair. But, I remember, I think it was onebyone who had a prob, dh somehow took it apart and "fixed" it.....wonder how he took it apart and what did he do......still have lots of scraps to repurpose!

Hello. I'm on my tablet and it's hard to type. I'll post a detailed post in the morning.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I couldn't crank my handle. DH took the handle off, then opened up the Go. It has rollers and at the end of each roller is a bearing. Very simple construction. DH said it was very well made. He could see the bearing on the end of the roller on the handle side was damaged. So it had nothing to do with the handle. I ordered the bearing from Amazon. My Go is one of the first ones made and the bearing is: INA HK2010 Needle Roller Bearing, Caged Drawn Cup, Outer Ring and Roller, Steel Cage, Open End, Metric, 20mm ID, 26mm OD, 10mm Width, 12000rpm Maximum Rotational Speed

I bought the one and later bought a package of them to have. If you don't know anything about pulling a bearing or have to buy the tools for it then it may not be the best to do it yourself. It took DH about 20 min to replace the bearing and have it back in my sewing room. It cranks better now then ever. I told him last week that the GO was making more noise when I cranked so it may need new bearings again. My Go is over ten years old and I use it a lot.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Great info and post on replacement bearings! Thank you!

Onebyone..thanks for that valuable info. Dd will attempt to take apart tonite...we will either totally break it or repair it! Hope it's the latter! I'd hate to have to buy a new one!

Ok! Dd took handle off, bearings were ok, but little wheel that the handle was attached, had a broken tooth that was jammed into one of the wheels that turned the rollers---that's where it would lock----she popped that little sliver out, turned without stopping...smooth as butter! Put it back together and now I can finish my scrap repurposing chore.....phew!

I'm so glad she got it fixed for you. Happy scrap repurposing!
    Connie

This is good information on possible problems and fixes with the Go. Thank you all for sharing.

I have heard that the advantage of the manual Go is that you can change the bearings if you are mechanically oriented, but if the electric version fails, it's not as easy to change them out.
    Can anyone who has an electric version tell me if this is true?
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!