Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My gorgeous tub chair needs a cover >

My gorgeous tub chair needs a cover

My gorgeous tub chair needs a cover

Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 AM

As I read your post, I am sitting in our motorhome looking at a very worn tub chair. A new upholstery job is certainly on my list of to-do's. Thanks for the idea and inspiration you and others have given today.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 AM

I downloaded the .pdf of your recliner slipcover tutorial. Thanks so much for posting it. I actually sleep in my recliner every night and have for over 10 years because of sinus problems and when I had hip and knee surgeries. I've worn out 3 and this is my 4th. It is leather (the others were fabric), so are hot in the summer and cold in the winter, so I have been putting a fitted twin sheet over it, but the elastic doesn't guarantee that it will stay on. I've thought about making a cover for it, but have never made slipcovers, so didn't even know where to start. Your tutorial has all the information and the pictures are great. I will probably use the two-sided prequilted fabric instead of making a quilt or quilting my own fabric. Right now, I'm all for easy and convenient.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:32 PM

Your tub chair is very nice and looks comfortable. It is not difficult to make a cover. make patterns of each section, I use muslin or old sheets, then add seam lines. Add any ease you want and be sure to make a pocket around the seat so it will give as you sit down. add elastic or ties to the bottom edge so it will be neat underneath. You can make it snug or loose and enjoy. I wish you much joy of your endeavor.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Scrappy would be good and give lots of colors to brighten things up. Your chairs look very comfy. I can see you love them. Good luck, I am sure you will be able to cover them.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

make your sizes near as you can and lay them on the chair, right side down. then pin, pin, pin. you will trim your seams before sewing. It should be do-able. Good luck. I did some wing back chairs. finished mine but didn't finish my husbands. his started coming apart from his rough handling and I gave up. Bought different chairs. I love your tub chair!!