Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My husband ordered me not to sew...

I'd tell him "OK, this one is for YOUR mother, and this is for YOUR sister and YOUR (insert his relative/friend here) - which one would you like me to not make next?[/quote]

How clever!

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. I've enjoyed each of your comments. He does care, I know this. He just usually isn't the type to issue "orders". I have been having some health problems for the past 6 months, which I am sure is what is motivating him to say something. It will be ok though. The 2 quilts I was working on are finished and on their way to North Carolina. Now all I have left to sew are fleece scarves (3)& ponchos (2). And...I don't have to have them done before Christmas. We won't be seeing the recipients until Sunday evening & on into next week. Plenty of time to sew them up, without any all night marathons.

My hubby knows better than to say something like that to me. Men can be such babies at times. If he did I'd just keep going like he never said it and let him stew in his corner. :-)

Blog Entries
    Perhaps it doesnt have as much to do with hours spent sewing, as it does with other things you do. Maybe sew from 5 PM when you get home and stop at 10 pm and go to bed... live on a sandwich and let him fend for some laundry and sandwiches himself LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Mama
    My husband does not like to be "neglected " by my quilt activities so I try to do my quilting projects while he is at work or when he is exercising. He also gets frustrated when I sit in my cozy corner doing hand sewing instead of sitting next to him while he watches TV (he thinks he is being ignored-like I could pry him from his football, etc.). Soooo I wait until he is home and I sit next to him and fold HIS clothes while we watch TV together..
    My husband also thinks he is being ignored when I listen to an audible book while I hand-sew my binding on a quilt. I am in the same room with him but he feels he is being ignored while he watches TV. What are they thinking?

uh, yeah!!!!! I don't blame him!!!!!!! you know, you CAN take a pic of what you've accomplished and tell the family/friends that you'll send a package later!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cgroark
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Mama
    My husband does not like to be "neglected " by my quilt activities so I try to do my quilting projects while he is at work or when he is exercising. He also gets frustrated when I sit in my cozy corner doing hand sewing instead of sitting next to him while he watches TV (he thinks he is being ignored-like I could pry him from his football, etc.). Soooo I wait until he is home and I sit next to him and fold HIS clothes while we watch TV together..
    My husband also thinks he is being ignored when I listen to an audible book while I hand-sew my binding on a quilt. I am in the same room with him but he feels he is being ignored while he watches TV. What are they thinking?
    Men can be such babies

:roll: :roll: :roll: :)

As if that would work! Seriously, though, late hours and early mornings are a bad combination. Get some sleep.

What is going on with them and quilting? DH complains about how much time I spend in my sewing room and little time with him. He wants me to sit by him and watch TV - zombie movie or vampire movie... I don't like to watch TV let alone those types of movies.
    sometimes is difficult to have a grown up kid for DH!

Love your Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    LOL...I guess we should all start our Christmas sewing around July :)
    I do start some in July & it's still a mad rush at this time.

Blog Entries
    Here's a "cop-out" for all of you who are still pushing it. Remember that the ORIGINAL presents were given on the 12th night after Christmas. Take your time and enjoy the love you're putting into your projects. Make a hand made, or even a computer generated card which expresses your emotion for the recipient. Share, that like the Three Wise Men, they have time between December 25th, and 6 Jan to think about what may be in store for their future. Make it as fun or as serious as your traditional family celebration. Then, finish your sewing or shopping, (take advantage of the after Christmas sales). Then, on Epiphany, (Three Kings Night), present your gifts with pride, and open, rather than dark, droopy eyes.

This is how I was reared. My grandmother was from Columbia, and it was how she celebrated. It was natural for me because that was just how it was. But, as children, there were a few people who didn't understand. The first question people asked when we returned to school was always, "What did you get?" I explained that I was still in suspense, just like the Wise Men were as they traveled to the stable. Then, when you present your gift, it will actually mean more because it won't be diluted by other gifts, and the extra excitement of the wait will have built. Just remember that it is in the spirit and tradition of the ORIGINAL Christmas gifts.

I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by ann clare
    Sounds like a caring husband to me. Do cut back. Your health comes first.

Blog Entries
    You do need more rest than what you are getting. When I PUSH myself, I generally make more mistakes than usual, so I make sure i GET MY REST. Just settle down. It will still be waiting on you when you get up.

Sadly he is right when we overdo like that is when we get sick at the holidays.

I have been pushing to get my sister-in-laws quilt done, and I woke up Monday night with the worst ever pains in my shoulders and neck. I couldn't believe hand sewing the binding would cause such pain. Has anyone tried using the blind hem stitch on the sewing machine? Shouldn't this work?

Suffering from RA...

After 44 years my DH knows not to "order" me to do anything. He knew from before we said "I DO" that those were fighting words!
    He can suggest something, but if its worded as an order he knows darned good and well I will do whatever it was.
    Actually we are very fortunate as we will talk out any problems that we run into. I can honestly say we have never had a serious argument. A few times voices were raised, but mostly we end up looking at each other and burst out laughing. Amazing how a good laugh solves so many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    Moderation is fine, but it seems like a joke this week. There's only pedal to the metal for many of us trying to get ready for the big day.

Remember, if you can't finish a project, we still have Christmas. And you can give a gift certificate entitling the bearer to one finished quilt-- in January. It's a darn cold month, too!
    Because I had surgery a couple weeks ago I was unable to complete all my quilts. One of my sons will get a half completed quilt with an IOU for a finished quilt. My other son is getting a box of fabric with an IOU for a quilt. I feel quilty that their's didn't get finished but I am sure they will understand.

Blog Entries
    My husband knows an "order" like that would be a total waste of his breath! :)

He cares! I'm sure he appreciates what you are doing but not at the expense of your health. He's a man to be appreciated.

I agree that we should start much earlier on Christmas projects. I will never put on myself what I did this year of saying that I would make 5 quilts for some little people who don't get much. I think I will make it but it sure has not been easy. I know I won't enjoy quilting if I keep this up. Merrry christmas everyone! Mary m

Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    LOL...I guess we should all start our Christmas sewing around July :)

Quote Originally Posted by quilt3311
    After 44 years my DH knows not to "order" me to do anything. He knew from before we said "I DO" that those were fighting words!
    Amen to that. I don't tell him not to hunt-he doesn't tell me not to sew!

i have an issue with my husband sleeping on the couch and not coming to bed so i know how he feels. but, on the other hand if i ordered him he would do it more. maybe you just need to compromise. that is all he really wants.

Blog Entries
    Well, he is looking out for your health so you have to smile about his demand. Smile is all I would do and then sew as long as I wanted.

It's easy to spend too much time sewing late at night. the house is quiet and no one needs your attention. get some sleep tonight and snuggle with the guy that cares a lot about you.
    when i run out of time i put some scraps of the quilt into a gift card and let them know the gift will be finished shortly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast