Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 157

Thread: My husband says I am not a quilter...

  1. #1
    Super Member GrammaNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,935
    My husband says that I am not a quilter, I am a "Collector"! I have so many projects started and waiting to be started that I am overwhelmed. Does anyone else feel that way? What have you done to feel better and get things done? Have you given things away just to get things to a manageable level?

  2. #2
    Super Member mrspete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC - USA
    Posts
    2,971
    We must be related! Same thing here, but I'm having the time of my life !

    Blessings,
    Ruth

  3. #3
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    That's funny! Must be a lot of us "collectors" out there! :lol:

  4. #4
    Super Member skydiver70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,474
    I am the same way. Keep collecting patterns, and patterns. I had thought about putting up this sign: "My house was clean last week, sorry you missed it!" LOL

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    8,482
    I say you're still a quilter, I think it's in the rule book that you have to collect fabric and related items to be a quilter. LOL

  6. #6
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    I am the same way only difference is I decided to give away the fabrics I won't be using for the price of shipping. I may do it again in another month. I decided if I am not using it then it needs to go to someone who will.

  7. #7
    Super Member dotcomdtcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City UWS
    Posts
    4,426
    Every artist works in their own way. Many artists discard works in progress because they move on to a more exciting idea. I have a lot of unfinished canvases here but my daughter's finished paintings are wonderful. Maybe we need a swap to trade UFOs!! That could be fun!

  8. #8
    Super Member kim_s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    So Cal -->TN
    Posts
    1,638
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Every artist works in their own way. Many artists discard works in progress because they move on to a more exciting idea.
    Well said Dotty!

  9. #9
    ganny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    McLoud, Oklahoma
    Posts
    431
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver70
    I am the same way. Keep collecting patterns, and patterns. I had thought about putting up this sign: "My house was clean last week, sorry you missed it!" LOL
    That's great!! lol.

  10. #10
    ganny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    McLoud, Oklahoma
    Posts
    431
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I am the same way only difference is I decided to give away the fabrics I won't be using for the price of shipping. I may do it again in another month. I decided if I am not using it then it needs to go to someone who will.
    Seems like I never have the right kind of material I need for my next quilt! Even scrappies, I never have the right kind of "scraps". How do you get an abundance?

  11. #11
    Super Member Blue Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    4,033
    I am a collector, too. Right now I have collected enough fabric to cover the state of Rhode Island.

  12. #12
    Super Member dotcomdtcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City UWS
    Posts
    4,426
    I am pretty bored my scraps. Maybe I should trade the whole bin w someone else!

  13. #13
    ganny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    McLoud, Oklahoma
    Posts
    431
    Blog Entries
    1
    Well, gotta go to bed. Getting up early to go garage saling (spelled right?). Goodnight everyone! Sweet dreams.

  14. #14
    Aunt Retta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    West Jordan, Utah
    Posts
    668
    I think we are quilters if we love fabric, colors and quilts!

  15. #15
    ganny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    McLoud, Oklahoma
    Posts
    431
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    I am pretty bored my scraps. Maybe I should trade the whole bin w someone else!
    I think that's the thing. I look at my material for so long and then get bored with it and it no longer looks good.
    Well, goodnight.

  16. #16
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I am the same way only difference is I decided to give away the fabrics I won't be using for the price of shipping. I may do it again in another month. I decided if I am not using it then it needs to go to someone who will.
    Seems like I never have the right kind of material I need for my next quilt! Even scrappies, I never have the right kind of "scraps". How do you get an abundance?
    I got an over flow totally by accident. I shop the thrift shops and went thru a phase several years ago where I bought every piece of quilty fabric I could get my hands on I couldn't beat the $.50 a yard price. Now I try to work from my stash. I did say try but sometimes there is that fabric that you have to have for a quilt. So it isn't working to well for me. I even give my scraps away for shipping costs. No use in keeping them either.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central Mn.
    Posts
    412
    I think we're all related! If I never bought another inch of fabric, I would have to live to be at least 100 to use up my stash and fq's.

  18. #18
    Super Member Joanie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    American Canyon, CA
    Posts
    1,137
    Blog Entries
    3
    You need to start thinking like a vitner. Fabrics, like fine wine, need to age awhile to get better. So at least once a week you need to stroke them, admire them and talk to them lovingly telling them how wonderful they are going to look once you decide how they are going to play together.
    You're not a collector - you're an artist who needs time to imagine your next piece of art. Give up the guilt and feel free to dream.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    central California
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanie2
    You need to start thinking like a vitner. Fabrics, like fine wine, need to age awhile to get better. So at least once a week you need to stroke them, admire them and talk to them lovingly telling them how wonderful they are going to look once you decide how they are going to play together.
    You're not a collector - you're an artist who needs time to imagine your next piece of art. Give up the guilt and feel free to dream.
    Exactly!!! The hard part is convincing my DH of this, and that I need more!!

  20. #20
    Senior Member mom2suki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    626
    As I can already see by the posts, there are a lot of us "collectors" around! I keep adding patterns to my collection, but not getting much done. :oops: I have decided, though, to limit my pattern collecting and quilting projects to mostly applique since I enjoy that more than piecing. We'll see what happens!!

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    My husband says that I am not a quilter, I am a "Collector"! I have so many projects started and waiting to be started that I am overwhelmed. Does anyone else feel that way? What have you done to feel better and get things done? Have you given things away just to get things to a manageable level?
    The principal of a jr. high that I worked for, told me to always set my priorities. Which letter needed to be typed first, etc. It has been my motto ever since, and so, I finally came to terms with my quilting projects - finish ONE project and while you are finishing that ONE project, you can figure out which project you need to go to next, to finish. FINISH is the key word. I have made a lot of
    progress that way. It makes you feel so 'good'!!!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    488
    I have always called myself a "quilting supply collector". I buy fabric and notions and tools but rarely produce anything with them!

    I am a "one at a time" person (in fact one project had to be packed away whilst I work on another that has a deadline coming up), but that doesn't stop me picking up new future projects along the way.

  23. #23
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,968
    Me too! Lol

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Some where in way out West Texas
    Posts
    2,935
    Blog Entries
    3
    I guess I am a rounder, I wonder around from quilt project to quilt project. I have two tops currently finished but batting and backing only attached to one, but not finished quilting it yet, have had a lot of trouble with it. I am doing it by machine quilting no long armer near. I am currently working on one I've put away off and on, hope to get all three of these finished before October Fall Fair. I also have three others partly finished and still just on my ufo list. I have four in mind with fab. and patterns for ones that I want to do as soon as possible. I eventually get them finished but I have had too many interuptions this summer. So I am a "quilt-a-rounder" I guess. But I am having fun all along the way, and that's what's important. This is my stress releaser.

  25. #25
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,821
    Blog Entries
    11
    I give myself a "time out" so to speak.Might go wks...or even a few mos without working on a project.Just reading about quilts,buying a couple
    new patterns,some fabric etc helps me restart with fresh eyes.

    Spending time here,saving tips/tutes/pics........sorting thru other saved
    quilting info,tossing some etc.It works for me.




    Quote Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    My husband says that I am not a quilter, I am a "Collector"! I have so many projects started and waiting to be started that I am overwhelmed. Does anyone else feel that way? What have you done to feel better and get things done? Have you given things away just to get things to a manageable level?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.