Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My husband says I am not a quilter...

My husband says that I am not a quilter, I am a "Collector"! I have so many projects started and waiting to be started that I am overwhelmed. Does anyone else feel that way? What have you done to feel better and get things done? Have you given things away just to get things to a manageable level?

We must be related! Same thing here, but I'm having the time of my life !

Blessings,
    Ruth

Blog Entries
    That's funny! Must be a lot of us "collectors" out there! :lol:

I am the same way. Keep collecting patterns, and patterns. I had thought about putting up this sign: "My house was clean last week, sorry you missed it!" LOL

I say you're still a quilter, I think it's in the rule book that you have to collect fabric and related items to be a quilter. LOL

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I am the same way only difference is I decided to give away the fabrics I won't be using for the price of shipping. I may do it again in another month. I decided if I am not using it then it needs to go to someone who will.

Every artist works in their own way. Many artists discard works in progress because they move on to a more exciting idea. I have a lot of unfinished canvases here but my daughter's finished paintings are wonderful. Maybe we need a swap to trade UFOs!! That could be fun!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Every artist works in their own way. Many artists discard works in progress because they move on to a more exciting idea.
    Well said Dotty!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver70
    I am the same way. Keep collecting patterns, and patterns. I had thought about putting up this sign: "My house was clean last week, sorry you missed it!" LOL
    That's great!! lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I am the same way only difference is I decided to give away the fabrics I won't be using for the price of shipping. I may do it again in another month. I decided if I am not using it then it needs to go to someone who will.
    Seems like I never have the right kind of material I need for my next quilt! Even scrappies, I never have the right kind of "scraps". How do you get an abundance?

I am a collector, too. Right now I have collected enough fabric to cover the state of Rhode Island.

I am pretty bored my scraps. Maybe I should trade the whole bin w someone else!

Blog Entries
    Well, gotta go to bed. Getting up early to go garage saling (spelled right?). Goodnight everyone! Sweet dreams.

I think we are quilters if we love fabric, colors and quilts!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    I am pretty bored my scraps. Maybe I should trade the whole bin w someone else!
    I think that's the thing. I look at my material for so long and then get bored with it and it no longer looks good.
    Well, goodnight.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Seems like I never have the right kind of material I need for my next quilt! Even scrappies, I never have the right kind of "scraps". How do you get an abundance?
    I got an over flow totally by accident. I shop the thrift shops and went thru a phase several years ago where I bought every piece of quilty fabric I could get my hands on I couldn't beat the $.50 a yard price. Now I try to work from my stash. I did say try but sometimes there is that fabric that you have to have for a quilt. So it isn't working to well for me. I even give my scraps away for shipping costs. No use in keeping them either.

I think we're all related! If I never bought another inch of fabric, I would have to live to be at least 100 to use up my stash and fq's.

Blog Entries
    You need to start thinking like a vitner. Fabrics, like fine wine, need to age awhile to get better. So at least once a week you need to stroke them, admire them and talk to them lovingly telling them how wonderful they are going to look once you decide how they are going to play together.
    You're not a collector - you're an artist who needs time to imagine your next piece of art. Give up the guilt and feel free to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie2
    You need to start thinking like a vitner. Fabrics, like fine wine, need to age awhile to get better. So at least once a week you need to stroke them, admire them and talk to them lovingly telling them how wonderful they are going to look once you decide how they are going to play together.
    You're not a collector - you're an artist who needs time to imagine your next piece of art. Give up the guilt and feel free to dream.
    Exactly!!! The hard part is convincing my DH of this, and that I need more!!

As I can already see by the posts, there are a lot of us "collectors" around! I keep adding patterns to my collection, but not getting much done. :oops: I have decided, though, to limit my pattern collecting and quilting projects to mostly applique since I enjoy that more than piecing. We'll see what happens!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    My husband says that I am not a quilter, I am a "Collector"! I have so many projects started and waiting to be started that I am overwhelmed. Does anyone else feel that way? What have you done to feel better and get things done? Have you given things away just to get things to a manageable level?
    The principal of a jr. high that I worked for, told me to always set my priorities. Which letter needed to be typed first, etc. It has been my motto ever since, and so, I finally came to terms with my quilting projects - finish ONE project and while you are finishing that ONE project, you can figure out which project you need to go to next, to finish. FINISH is the key word. I have made a lot of
    progress that way. It makes you feel so 'good'!!!

I have always called myself a "quilting supply collector". I buy fabric and notions and tools but rarely produce anything with them!

I am a "one at a time" person (in fact one project had to be packed away whilst I work on another that has a deadline coming up), but that doesn't stop me picking up new future projects along the way.

Me too! Lol

Blog Entries
    I guess I am a rounder, I wonder around from quilt project to quilt project. I have two tops currently finished but batting and backing only attached to one, but not finished quilting it yet, have had a lot of trouble with it. I am doing it by machine quilting no long armer near. I am currently working on one I've put away off and on, hope to get all three of these finished before October Fall Fair. I also have three others partly finished and still just on my ufo list. I have four in mind with fab. and patterns for ones that I want to do as soon as possible. I eventually get them finished but I have had too many interuptions this summer. So I am a "quilt-a-rounder" I guess. But I am having fun all along the way, and that's what's important. This is my stress releaser.

Blog Entries
    I give myself a "time out" so to speak.Might go wks...or even a few mos without working on a project.Just reading about quilts,buying a couple
    new patterns,some fabric etc helps me restart with fresh eyes.

Spending time here,saving tips/tutes/pics........sorting thru other saved
    quilting info,tossing some etc.It works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaNan

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast