my ideal quilting classmate - >

my ideal quilting classmate -

my ideal quilting classmate -

Old 03-04-2015, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Default my ideal quilting classmate -

Shows up on time

Has supplies and tools needed and ready - this assumes a list was available

If sewing machine is required and class is not for how to use your machine - at least know the basics of how to run it - have an extra needle for it, too.

Shuts up while the instructor is instructing

Is friendly to everyone

If class is for Technique A - tries it without fussing - it might be better than Technique B that he/she knows how to do

Asks relevant questions

I don' t always get it the first time - so please - let me be able to hear and see as much of the instruction as possible that I came for

Taking a class is a fairly big deal for me - I want to get my time and money' s worth out of it.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:50 AM

I agree with this. Especially the "shuts up" part. So many want to talk if they think they know what is going on and forget that others may need the info being given.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Would be Eleanor Burns. But, seriously, all of the above. And, if your neighbor is a little more proficient, don't keep asking them for so much help it interferes with them hearing the instructor.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I would love to go to a class where there are no chatter boxes, moochers, know it alls, complainers, self proclaimed cheapos, or machine ignorants. I have been to many many classes and workshops and feel lucky if only two of the mentioned is in it. LOL
Old 03-04-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I wish we had a "like" button on this board1 I am "liking" your post, Onebyone.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:10 AM

Agreed!!!

And why is there always one person who knows the instructor and has to keep chatting her up during class so she can look more important than the other students? Is it possible that some instructors just allow the interruptive behavior?

And why are there people in the class who have already taken this and other classes with the same instructor and really do know it all? Is it possible this makes the day-long class a breeze for the instructor?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:09 AM

I am going to my first quilt class at the end of the month and will try very hard to be the ideal classmate.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:05 PM

I am so sorry to admit that I have been a classmate at both ends of the spectrum... I attended a workshop where "machines were furnished." The machine was one waaaay more advanced than my home machine. I was the pest who kept asking the proficient one for help throughout the day. And then I attended a class where my neighbor did not know how to operate her machine (It was a bargain she bought and had never learned to use.). The instructor spent most of the class teaching the woman to use her machine -- which was an odd off-brand -- and a great portion of the class on her cell phone reprimanding her kids who were squabling at home alone.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
I am going to my first quilt class at the end of the month and will try very hard to be the ideal classmate.
I suspect that you have nothing to worry about. Just go on time, listen, follow directions, and ask questions when you need to. (See, you do all of that anyway. )Oh, also just enjoy...

Dina
Old 03-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
I think you will be. : )