Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My machine is broken!

Unhappy My machine is broken!

Last two times I sewed my machine shut off in the middle of sewing. Called the store and they said it might be a loose connection or a circuit board gone bad. Can't get it there until next week. So, I'll be without a machine for about 2 weeks!

That why I didn't trade in my older Bernina when I upgrade to my Bernina 1530. Always have a backup. Hope it is just a loose connection and not a board. They I have heard are expensive !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Those mechanical/vintage machines are so handy to keep! I believe everyone should have 1 or 6 as backups.

Not good to not have a backup machine for times like this. I have two machines I use all the time but, I do have three others I could use if I needed to. They were bought over the years and at different prices.
    I don't have any machines with boards, I hear the boards can be expensive to replace.
    Good luck I hope it is a cheap fix.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Oh no! I hope it's an easy fix. Fingers' crossed for you.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    Those mechanical/vintage machines are so handy to keep! I believe everyone should have 1 or 6 as backups.
    hahaha....I have 12 backups! I'm set. I have a friend who has over 40, but she will never have to replace a motherboard or chip--they're all treadles or cranks.

Blog Entries
    I only have one machine you all are scaring me.

Power Poster
    It might be your foot control rather then your machine. If possible switch out the foot at the shop first before anything else. Some shops have loaner machines if you ask.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nj quilter View Post
    ... I believe everyone should have 1 or 6 as backups.
    laughing out loud
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

You mean I wasn't suppose to buy these 12 vintage machines plus 3 newer (not nearly as expensive as most of you great quilters) Singers and Elna???? The 12 vintage Singers are always at the ready because when I finish a project with any one of them, it is oiled, lubricated, cleaned, new needle put in and covered with a breathable cloth. One of them has been converted to a handcrank and when we had a power outage.....went to candles, a cup of tea and that precious Singer!!!! Now, I do rotate them so that no "one" gets upset.
    Busy in Ohio

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has 2 or 6 or 12 back up machines. My best purchase was a treadle, because whether there's electricity or not, I can still sew. I purchased those LED lamps that have the solar battery charger, too. After living through Hurricane Ike (and no electricity for 5 days), I was so glad I had the treadle and the lamps.

Also, I believe that everyone should have one mechanical machine. The Singer Featherweights are great. It only has a straight stitch, but it's a workhorse and once you get familiar with the machine, most problems can be solved by yourself.

[QUOTE=mermaid;7201284]hahaha....I have 12 backups! I'm set. I have a friend who has over 40, but she will never have to replace a motherboard or chip--they're all treadles or cranks.[/
    Just have to add that at the very instant I hit that submit button this a.m., there was an explosive "boom". For a moment I tho't I had caused my computer to die..it went black. Then I realized an elect. Transformer had blown down the st. Funny I was typing abt treadle machines. I didn't need to use mine today, tho.

I can't imagine having one machine. Put out the word you want a used sewing machine and someone will have one stuck in closet they forgot about.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by tkhooper View Post
    I only have one machine you all are scaring me.
    My thought exactly!!!

I am so sorry that this happened to you that's why I feel like I should get a back up in case something like this happens. I hate being with out a sewing machine.

I could not survive with only one machine , at least two are must have in life . And of course always Bernina .

Blog Entries
    I agree with always having backup machines. I only have 4 tho

Blog Entries
    love that one or six giggle and that does not include your serger?

Ha Ha!!! So true!!!

Blog Entries
    seriously looking at hand crank machines ...... thinking it would be great mental exercise, like holding your toothbrush with the 'other' hand on odd numbered days.

I have 2 backup machines- a featherweight and my Bernina 180.

I can't imagine having only one machine either. I would feel so uneasy if I thought I could not sew. I have "many", some computerized and some treadles, and many in between, but all will do piecing perfectly. Many of mine were $20-$30 on Craigslist.

Blog Entries
    This happened with my Brother machine. It was dust in the foot pedal. Cleaned it out, and then it was fine. It happens occasionally, and cleaning always takes care of it--I vacuum it.

I have lots of backups too...I just fall in love with neat old machines over and over and they have to come home and join the herd And I use them all!

I really enjoy maintaining my old machines too, I can't tell you why exactly, but there's something very satisfying about opening them up and lovingly putting just a dab of grease or a dot of oil in just the right spot and feeling how the motion smooths out. Plus I'm just entranced at the engineering in some of these machines. I think gears and levers are beautiful.

When I go on vacation, it's always a tough decision to decide which machine to bring with me. Usually I bring my most neglected machine and rediscover why I loved it in the first place.

But I have to admit, at home, my 6600 gets the most use of them all and occupies the primo spot in my sewing room. I love my vintage machines, but I love my modern miracle machine too.

That's why I bought a backup - just a cheap little Brother from Walmart. Now I have also added an antique (not vintage) Singer so I can treadle during lightening storms.
    Shirley in Arizona

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast