Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Machine Has a Mind of It's Own! >

My Machine Has a Mind of It's Own!

My Machine Has a Mind of It's Own!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Is it possible you're using the hand quilting thread? It has a finish that isn't good for machine quilting.
That's right! If the spool says for "hand quilting" it has a glaze on it that comes off as it goes through the tension disks and messes up the machine. If it says "machine quilting" its alright.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:41 AM

I had a problem with my upper thread race. The quilt shop told me to use dental floss and just put it through the same direction you thread. They said that pulling thread back up with the spool after using can cause lint and such to get stuck. That you should cut it off and pull it down toward the needle. The floss worked pretty good for cleaning it out.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Susan, air is not usually recommended for DSM's because it blows the particles back into the machine.
Ohhh- thank you!! I do have a DSM. Ittook me a minute to figure out that meant digital sewing machine, but then I looked at the list and realized it was domestic. I'll learn the lingo in time! I had better get out my owners manual and see how to properly clean my machine. It's an Elna Quilters Dream I got in 1999 (or so). Before I had my children and had more money.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Same thing happened to me. And it was the take up lever. Piece of thread caught in it.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:08 AM

Speaking of thread- I doubt this is the problems, but I remember when I bought my machine the lady at the store told me that when you change thread always snip from the top and bring then thread down through the needle, as in don't go against the way the thread will naturally flow form the machine.

It's probably something you ladies knew already, but being self-taught, it stuck...
Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 AM

I don't see where you mention cleaning the feed dogs. There is a lot of gunk under that plate.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:37 AM

While waiting for an online order from Threadart.com, I bought 6 colors of C&C 40wt poly thread (mini cones)...all but two worked fine. The Yellow and Navy blue caused the noise you heard. If you feel that cone of thread...pull off a length and run it through your fingers...you will probably be able to feel the roughness. Wether wound too tight, or just wrong...I don't know. It does not work on my quilting machine (TL18LS), my 12 needle embroidery machine, nor any of my sewing or embroidery machines. I tried to use for hand sewing...ugh...tossed those two cones.

If I had kept the reciept...they would have gone back to the store. If you have the reciept, take it back to the store...then ask to be able to feel the thread before you buy it.

Marge

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I have had my machine for almost 1 1/2 years. It has always run very smoothly and I clean the bobbin case every time I change the bobbin. I've always used Coats & Clark specialty threads. The past couple of weeks it started making these grinding noises and the upper thread kept breaking. I asked on here about taking a machine in and a couple of people suggested trying a different thread. So I went to JoAnn's and bought some Sulky thread. Holy moly!! It's working fine! What's the deal? Why all of a sudden would I need to use a different brand of thread?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 AM

If my machine is making a noise that I am uncomfortable with, I make sure to do all the regular maintenance, and take it to have it checked out. It might make the difference in a regular checkup and an expensive fix because it was overlooked. Good luck with it, I hate to be without my fav machine because its in the Dr
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 AM

My machine wasn't a 100% and couldn't understand why.....until DH cleaned and serviced the machine. Oh my,, sounds like a brand new machine now. I guess there is something to regularly servicing our machines.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I have had my machine for almost 1 1/2 years. It has always run very smoothly and I clean the bobbin case every time I change the bobbin. I've always used Coats & Clark specialty threads. The past couple of weeks it started making these grinding noises and the upper thread kept breaking. I asked on here about taking a machine in and a couple of people suggested trying a different thread. So I went to JoAnn's and bought some Sulky thread. Holy moly!! It's working fine! What's the deal? Why all of a sudden would I need to use a different brand of thread?
I have had nothing but trouble with the Coats & Clark machine quilting thread I bought recently. I will not be buying any more. When I searched about it, I found many people saying that it was not the same quality that it used to me. My last thread purchase was from Connecting Threads and it is working great for me.