Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: is my needle the wrong size, please help!!

Blog Entries

Question is my needle the wrong size, please help!!

can some one help me out??? When i sew and hold my stitching up to light, you can see the stitch holes?? i just recently got a new brother sewing machine, And have been sewing with the needle that came with it, but after i sew , hold up to light, and you can see the light thur the stitches!! is it too big of needle! thanks

People have told me that when you wash the quilt, the holes will close up. Personally for stitching the blocks together, I use a #11, for FMQ I use a #12, but most people use a #14, the long armers usually use at least a #16 and bigger, or at least that's what I've been told. I also don't like the holes that I can see through and haven't had any problems FMQ with the #12, so I'll just stick with that one.

Blog Entries
    thank u pocoellie!! thats what i thought it was, but i need to hear it from great people like u thanks

Power Poster
    Some info about sewing machine needles:

http://www.joann.com/static/project/0704/PA00223.pdf

On sewing machine needles, the larger the number, the thicker the shaft of the needle.
    For piecing, I like to use a 75/11 or 80/12.
    Many people use at least a 100/16 for sewing heavy denim.

The numbers may be reversed - 75/11 is the same thing as 11/75.
    Also - make sure that you are using the correct needle for your sewing machine and that it is installed properly.

Hand sewing needles are numbered the other way - the larger the number, the thinner the needle. A smaller sized needle in a given style is given a larger number. Example: A #12 between will be thinner and shorter than a #9 between.

It seems like a lot of demonstrations are done on that stiff, coarsely woven material with thick (14/90 or thicker) needles.

It can get confusing.

Superior Threads has information on their web site about the correct needle for the thread you're using. Unfortunately the web site seems to be down right now, so I can't find the link to send you.