Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: MY New BABY

MY 'Goodie Store' Find!
    A Singer Not sure the Model but it uses 'cogs'
    I have a lot of 'cogs' just not the right ones! It sews just fine and the one cog it has is for zigzag.
    If anyone knows anything about this machine please let me know! Lori. K. icon17 8-)

My 'Goodie Store Find'
    Name:  Attachment-222929.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  46.5 KB

The Cog
    Name:  Attachment-222930.jpe
Views: 49
Size:  33.5 KB

I have had one of these machines since 1960's when I bought it new. Works good. I still have the cams & the owners manual. Any questions, pm me.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! You have a Singer 403A. They are great machines. I am still sewing on my late Mother's 1956 model. You can find sets of the "cams" as they are called, for sale on e-bay. If you are looking for attachments, you want the ones for slant-shank.

These 'cams' are call black 'top hat' cams. I have seen them a lot on SewItForSale and other Yahoo! selling sites. Try 'googling' and you will come up with lots of sites.

This is a great find! :) I actually prefer this model to the 401 - the stitch selector knobs get gunked up and sticky pretty fast on the 401 and the 403 doesn't have this issue. :)

You can get huge sets of those "top hat" cams an attachments on eBay for pretty cheap prices if you buy the sets intended for Touch & Sews and not look only at the ones that mention 401/403 in the title. The white cams in those sets won't work, but the black top hats will and so will Touch & Sew feet and attachments. Those can sell for almost nothing, sometimes, while the ones specified for 401 or 500 models can go for crazy prices. :)

Great find

i have my late mom's 1951 403, and she is a sweet heart. sews anythng. you will love this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by hspirit_99
    i have my late mom's 1951 403, and she is a sweet heart. sews anythng. you will love this machine.
    Thank you so much! I'm going to put you in my 'Buddy list' so if I need help I can call out! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread
    I have had one of these machines since 1960's when I bought it new. Works good. I still have the cams & the owners manual. Any questions, pm me.
    Hi, I'm going to add you to my Buddy list so if I need help with my Machine I know Who too Call :lol:

Thank you ALL so much!!!!!!!! Who ever brought it to the 'Goodie Store' Took good care of it, its clean, sounds very good! only thing wrong is the bobbin cover plate is missing a spring to hold it down, but tape will do ok for now.:)

She's beautiful! Congrats!

Very pretty and looks new. Good for you to find this jewel.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful machine! So glad it found a loving new home.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your new baby.

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx

Woohoo! You'll love her. I just received a 401 from DH for my birthday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have one too - love it
    The 401 is a great machine too - you do have to keep the readers cleaned and oiled

I have this machine, too. It was my 8th grade graduation gift in 1960. It runs like a top. I also have the cams, attachments, and manual if you have any questions. It's internal workings are all metal; so it will be a great machine.

RML
    I bought a 403a last winter and it didn't have all the attachments, but I went to a sale yesterday and found a box with everything in it - cost $1.00, what a surprise. Hope you enjoy your new baby.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Looks to be in great shape. I have my Mom's that my Dad bought way back in the early 60s. They are workhorses and I like to use it for sturdy fabrics mostly since I have a newer Bernina 440QE for quilting. I and another sister rescued the 403 from our other sister that had it and was moving. She was going to toss it in the garbage cause it was so old and didn't sew very good anymore (just needed the bobbin case tension adjusted--thanks to Dave McCallum's book "The Featherweight & I" it was easy to do). It didn't have the proper book with it when my Dad bought it used. It had the 503 manual and box of accessories but they fit the 400 series as they were slant shank. I have purchased the correct manual and all the cams for mine on Ebay and one group came with 4 I already had: #3, diamonds; #6, crescent; #7, icicle; and #11, ribbon. If you PM me with your address I'll send these 4 to you if you want them. The zigzag one you got with your machine is the one I keep in my machine all the time as I use that one the most.

Oops! Just saw that you are in Everett!! Guess we could meet up somewhere in Everett and I could give the cams to you if you want them. I'm in the Lake Goodwin area.

Blog Entries
    Congrads I bought mine new,same kind with the CAMS when my children were just starting school, now they are in their 50's. Its my go to machine never fails. Also have the box for attachments and book, its in a cabinet and one of the last with all metal I think, no plastic pieces to break. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    MY 'Goodie Store' Find!
    A Singer Not sure the Model but it uses 'cogs'
    I have a lot of 'cogs' just not the right ones! It sews just fine and the one cog it has is for zigzag.
    If anyone knows anything about this machine please let me know! Lori. K. icon17 8-)
    Looks like a 403. Congrats, great machines.

Mine is just like the one you have and I have all the cams that go with it. I bought it used in the 60's and have used it pretty much since then. I do use a Viking now for quilting but if you have any questions pm me and I will help you if I can. They are a work horse and will sew leather, canvas and most all heavy and light fabrics.

This is an example of my first sewing machine. I used it until it dropped from exhauston sewing futons for a store. I liked its simplicity.