Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new design wall >

My new design wall

My new design wall

Old 02-20-2014, 06:24 PM

Default My new design wall

I got a very useful Valentine's Day gift from the DH this year. I think I'll keep him another year! Really love the auto headliner fabric with the foam backing much better than the thin felt that was on my smaller design wall that was replaced.
Attached Thumbnails img_5585-copy.jpg  
Old 02-20-2014, 06:52 PM

Never thought to use auto headliner fabric! Great idea and I love your wall and the quilt on it. Making a kaleidoscope quilt is on my bucket list.

Anita
Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Never thought to use auto headliner fabric! Great idea and I love your wall and the quilt on it. Making a kaleidoscope quilt is on my bucket list.

Anita
I have to give credit to Eleanor Burns for the headliner fabric. She uses one on her show and actually did a segment with her sons showing how to make one. The quilt is a work in progress (almost two years sitting in a pile of unfinished projects :-( I still have to add the borders but it's the next WIP in line for completion this month.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 AM

Nice idea. I just love all the different ideas on this site.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I also saw the episode that EB and her son constructed her design wall. I think it probably works better than flannel and is easier to keep clean than batting. It also looks very attractive.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 AM

I really like this idea of auto headliner. Who did you order it from?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:59 AM

I've had my headliner design wall for 3 or 4 years and it is great. Much better than flannel for keeping quilt pieces up. I have had blocks up for weeks while deciding on the final layout and the blocks don't drop off. I purchased mine at Hancock's on sale in their home dec section.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by scrapinmema View Post
I really like this idea of auto headliner. Who did you order it from?
I got the headliner fabric at Hancocks and used a 50% off coupon that I found on line. It's regularly $14.99 a yard, it's 60" wide and comes in several shades of gray and tan. Very easy to work with.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:56 PM

I'll have to try this when my felt wears out. Didn't know you could buy this at Hancock's. Is it heavier than felt? I hope so. DH made me a frame for a design wall out of PVC Pipe. Two frames actually they can sit side by side then I made pillow case like covers for them with felt on one side. I needed to be able to take them down occasionally as by using an aerobed so this room can become the spare bedroom.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
I'll have to try this when my felt wears out. Didn't know you could buy this at Hancock's. Is it heavier than felt? I hope so. DH made me a frame for a design wall out of PVC Pipe. Two frames actually they can sit side by side then I made pillow case like covers for them with felt on one side. I needed to be able to take them down occasionally as by using an aerobed so this room can become the spare bedroom.
It's about the same weight as felt but has a softer feel and look. It also have a thin foam backing that helps when pinning. We used two 4x8 sheets of insulation board, then adhered four 2x4 acoustical ceiling tiles to that, then covered the whole thing with the headliner fabric using spray adhesive (just like basting a quilt). It was pretty easy to stick pins into the insulation board but by adding the acoustical ceiling tiles, it became much easier to get the pins in and out. The ceiling tiles also helped to reinforce the insulation board. My prior design wall using just the insulation board bent/warped from the humidity in my part of the world and I wasn't able to use it any longer.