Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My New Favorite Quilting Tool.....that we all probably use more than we like >

My New Favorite Quilting Tool.....that we all probably use more than we like

My New Favorite Quilting Tool.....that we all probably use more than we like

Old 09-29-2012, 07:42 PM

Katesnanna, I agree with you that we do not neet all the new things that come out. However I lost my favorite seam ripper I had when I first started sewing in the 7th grade, I loved it and it worked the best. I now keep trying to find one that work like it, like you said the are not sharp and the point parts are to thick. SOOOO I guess I will just keep buying them until I find one the the old days hehe!! I am also trying to find a darn pair of sissiors that cut great all the way to the tip I just paid more money then I wanted to for a pair the said the would do the job NOT!!!!!!!!! I am very upset with that and I do not remember where I found them so now I am stuck BOOO HOOO FOR ME.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You enabler you, Cajun. I saw this last weekend at Quilt Expo in Portland and thought to myself, I don't need another seam ripper. Guess what I'm doing this morning....

However, I've always found that an emery board does a very good job of snagging those tiny loose threads!
I always use masking tape. I keep a roll handy and it's inexpensive, but this new tool sounds very interesting. Haven't seen one yet. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:36 PM

The handle looks too fat to be comfortable to use. I prefer the tiny seam rippers but I am odd. My mom wouldn't allow us to have one at all. When we were done with Home Ec she threw the required one away. Found out at retreat this year I had been using it wrong all these years. I now actually use one. I used to use scissors like my mother taught me.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:46 PM

I have lost more seam rippers because they were round! I now have flat handles on the ones in my sewing room and next to the sofa. The best thing I found to pick up threads is a lint roller by Utopia. The site is www.utopiagear.com The set is expensive, but comes with three rollers. One is a regular size (4 in.), one (7 in.)has a long handle for going under the bed collecting dust, and one is purse size. When they get full of lint, you just take them to the sink and wash them off. You don't have to wait for them to dry to use them again. They clean my cutting mat like magic. And they are guaranteed for life. If they ever loose their stickiness, they will be replaced. (Just like Tupperware.)
Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
However, I've always found that an emery board does a very good job of snagging those tiny loose threads!
I never thought of using any emery board, thank you!!! )
Old 09-30-2012, 04:26 AM

Any reason why a white rubber eraser wouldn't work? I have plenty seam rippers.
Retired Quilter
Old 09-30-2012, 04:29 AM

You my dear CajunQuilter2 are an enabler! I read this thread and couldn't imagine why I would want one of these. Then I saw one at the checkout at the quilt store yesterday. Of course, I had to buy it because of all the glowing endorsements. Now I have to figure it out... but I'm sure I'll love it.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:58 AM

I am a gadget junkie so of course I bought this and love how all the little threads stay attached to the rubber end. It really does work so glad I bought it!!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:13 AM

Hold the phone! I tried the utopia site and all I got was massagers! ! ? ? I sent the company a note and asked them about their lint rollers, but have not heard back yet. May have to wait until Monday morning.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 AM

I too bought this tool and when I used it the first time I thought to myself this is just like an eraser so I got out my new pencil with an eraser of course and it worked like a charm. Works even better if you put on one of those wedged shaped erasers on the end of the pencil. Give it a try. God Bless you.