Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new ironing board! >

My new ironing board!

My new ironing board!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:03 PM

Your idea of a portable ironing board using a tv tray is very clever. I think I will do that also.

Linda
Old 01-03-2010, 04:44 AM

What a great idea. I have an ironing board set up in my sewing area so it will not matter how much room it takes up. I'm going to put my husband to work on this one.

Arlene
Old 01-04-2010, 09:10 AM

I bought the same board from Lowes, covered it with foil, batting, and then a canvas drop cloth. My son attached it to the ironing board for me but I'm going to have him remove it and put the boards on the ends like yours. I have a little table top board but I can't iron my clothes on that silly thing! Your top looks so much easier to manage.

Thanks for sharing,
Sharon
Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 PM

I'm in the process of making one of my own. My husband thought with the extra width that it might be too tippy if someone happened to lean on the edge. He was afraid the iron might tip and fall on the floor. So I stapled a wide piece of velcro onto each of the wood pieces that are about halfway down the length, on each side. After I put the new ironing board over my old ironing board, I fasten the 2 ends of velcro together and it holds it tight to the underside. Now it's much more secure.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:15 AM

Where is the pic? and what size did you go with?
Originally Posted by fireworkslover
I'm in the process of making one of my own. My husband thought with the extra width that it might be too tippy if someone happened to lean on the edge. He was afraid the iron might tip and fall on the floor. So I stapled a wide piece of velcro onto each of the wood pieces that are about halfway down the length, on each side. After I put the new ironing board over my old ironing board, I fasten the 2 ends of velcro together and it holds it tight to the underside. Now it's much more secure.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:45 AM

Wow! I love it!
Hope you enjoy! :-D
Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 AM

Green with envy :mrgreen:
I have been trying to talk DH into making one-So far, no luck!
I'm going to show him yours and try again :lol:
ENJOY!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:49 PM

I had a friend do the same thing using a door around which she placed batting and then put a top on it (Shipshewana sells that silver fabric for pot holders, ironing board, etc. by the yard). Then she put it on top of three wire basket forms.... and she has all that storage for fabric underneath. :mrgreen:
Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Baywatch quilter
I had a friend do the same thing using a door around which she placed batting and then put a top on it (Shipshewana sells that silver fabric for pot holders, ironing board, etc. by the yard). Then she put it on top of three wire basket forms.... and she has all that storage for fabric underneath. :mrgreen:
That's a really great idea to put it on the drawers. I'm thinking of putting the silver or gold ironing board fabric next to the wood (instead of AL foil), then batting on top and muslin over that. It might depend on the cost of that heat resistant fabric.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:23 AM

I'm so excited, we finished making my new big board last night. I'll get a photo up soon, to show the added velcro strap uderneath. I really was on a roll and also recovered my little ironing pad that I use while piecing. I've recently tried fusing, using Wonder Under and got melted stuff on the pad. Then I cut a piece of muslin to recover my sleeve board. My hubby helped me get the old cover off and tack on a new piece. This got hand sewn on, since the whole board was made by my Dad many years ago and has a wood base. Now everything's fresh and new - Hurray!