Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My New Sewing Machine a Singer 15 NL

Not sure what the NL is and I'm trying to find somewhere that I can check into the serial number to see what I bought. Hopefully it's good and I haven't wasted my money. It seems loud when it sews but maybe a good oiling would cure that? Anyone have any ideas or info?

My new machine
    Name:  Attachment-244052.jpe
Views: 2194
Size:  57.8 KB

Blog Entries
    wow, pretty machine

It has been taken care of really well and the lady I got it from didn't really use it much, so not sure how much it was used before she got it. The decals are in really good shape.

Love the decals. That looks like a very special machine. Keep us posted when you get more information.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Hi - Look at the Singer Sewing Machine Company website for the serial numbers. You have a later (1980-1990's) made in China model that was made to look vintage. It is not "bad", but just not quite as good as an original American made Singer. They are kind of pretty with those flashy decals. I hope that no one represented to you that it is "vintage" or "antique", because it's not. But for just straight sewing it should be fine.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful machine whether it's vintage or not.

That is a cute machine. Indeed looks like a reproduction. Have fun!!!!!!

Now I'm kicking myself for buying it. Sounds like I bought a piece of junk if it was made in China. Actually says Taiwan on the label, but same difference. So irritated.

Quote Originally Posted by prairie_girl
    Now I'm kicking myself for buying it. Sounds like I bought a piece of junk if it was made in China. Actually says Taiwan on the label, but same difference. So irritated.
    Did they tell you it was vintage?

The ad said 'replica' of the original Singer but I guess I didn't "see" that and I certainly didn't think it was made in China, I thought it was a real Singer. I should have done more research before I bought it. Certainly won't do this again!

I hope you did not pay too much. If it has not been used alot and it works it should give you years of pleasure. Enjoy! Don't feel bad. I would not consider it a piece of junk by any means. It is very usuable. I think these are used over in third world countries and they make many of the purses and clothing on it for designers. If they can do that I am sure they are suitable for quilting or patching.

Quote Originally Posted by prairie_girl
    The ad said 'replica' of the original Singer but I guess I didn't "see" that and I certainly didn't think it was made in China, I thought it was a real Singer. I should have done more research before I bought it. Certainly won't do this again!

Blog Entries
    Don't despair yet! Here is a link to website showing different Singer decals. That looks just like the one called the Sphinx or Egyptian. I would check a little further before being so dismayed!

http://treadleon.net/oldtreadleonia/...ls/decals.html

Blog Entries
    Sorry double post!

look at it this way, it's fairly new, and if it's a true replica - meaning made with METAL gears, it will last as long as you do!
    which is a whole lot better than a plastic piece of junk...

Blog Entries
    You liked it before you knew it was a rep, right? ;) :)

Look at it this way. You have a machine that you don't have to worry about the decals on, and you can sew your heart out on it!
    Keep looking...you'll get the vintage machine you want, at the price you want. They're out there...and at least one of them has your name on it! :)

Thank you guys, you are so awesome! It does have all metal parts to it and it is very pretty. I don't think it has ever been used at all. I'm going to keep it and do some sewing on it for fun, while I wait for my vintage to come along. You have made me feel a lot better about it and it was less than 100 dollars.

Thank you! :-)

It's a pretty machine.

new user
    I bought this Singer 15 NL machine, too, but the funny thing is bought it *in Taiwan*. I talked to the shop's owners before buying and they assured me that Singer had a factory here years ago and the machine is legit. (They've been in business for about 60 years and were open during Taiwan's textile heyday.) My machine was made in the late 70s (the booklet that came with it is dated '73).

I'm not singing the machine's praises though! It's terribly loud. And tonight I broke a needle and now I can't get the stupid bobbin to catch. Argh.

By the way, Taiwan isn't China and "Made in Taiwan" means something very different than "Made in China".

I have one of these Machines... I picked mine up for $40 from an old lady from Taiwan that had it for 15 years. Knowing it is a replica I still have a lot of fun with it. I got a great looking machine that works really well and I didn't break the bank...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 702marine View Post
    I have one of these Machines... I picked mine up for $40 from an old lady from Taiwan that had it for 15 years. Knowing it is a replica I still have a lot of fun with it. I got a great looking machine that works really well and I didn't break the bank...
    That would be the important part, being happy with the machine!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by prairie_girl View Post
    Thank you guys, you are so awesome! It does have all metal parts to it and it is very pretty. I don't think it has ever been used at all. I'm going to keep it and do some sewing on it for fun, while I wait for my vintage to come along. You have made me feel a lot better about it and it was less than 100 dollars.

Thank you! :-)
    It's beautiful, has all metal parts, What's not ta like????
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.