Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: My New Toys !!!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    816

    My New Toys !!!!

    I am doing the happy dance!!!
    Today I picked up a Janome 1600P QC and she (Sally!!!) is now happily on my Happy Jack frame (Jack !!! duhh) and working together very well. It's the operator who isn't working so well - I can see that this is going to take lots and lots and lots of practice !!!
    I have spent the day practicing on a sample top - OK not so good - but hopefully will get better with time and all those quilt tops waiting to be quilted will be done sooner rather than later.
    I have purchased a quilt pounce so thinking templates might be one way to go - so will be looking at getting some templates later when I've managed to have a bit more control.
    If anyone has any suggestions for any books or tips that would help my huge learning curve - it would be very much appreciated.
    Something tells me nothing else will be done this weekend - I'm having too much fun !!!!

  2. #2
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    42,800
    Blog Entries
    45
    congrats!!! i have seen it written many times that practicing on an erasable white board is very helpful... it 'trains' your muscles. have fun
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?


  3. #3
    Super Member sewmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Midland, Michigan
    Posts
    1,947
    What is a happy Jack frame? Or is that what you have named a mega type frame?
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

  4. #4
    Senior Member ncsewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    757
    Congrats! Are you sure her name isn't Jill? Then you could have Jack and Jill!

  5. #5
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    New quilting toys are fun! Congratulations!
    Got fabric?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
    What is a happy Jack frame? Or is that what you have named a mega type frame?
    The Happy Jack is a frame made by Brindabella Quilting here in Australia (here is the link if you would like to have a look).

    http://www.brindabellaquilting.com.a...&product_id=50

  7. #7
    Super Member LoisM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Highland, CA
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Maus View Post
    The Happy Jack is a frame made by Brindabella Quilting here in Australia (here is the link if you would like to have a look).

    http://www.brindabellaquilting.com.a...&product_id=50
    Whoa! That's HUGE! Where do you have it set up?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by LoisM View Post
    Whoa! That's HUGE! Where do you have it set up?
    There is not enough room in my sewing room for it - what am I saying ??? - there is hardly enough room in the sewing room for me at the moment !!! It's a little (lots) disorganised but I have a fairly large lounge room so it sits there at one end and I can easily get around both sides of it.

  9. #9
    Super Member Pickles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,448
    How much does this kind cost Maus?
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    How much does this kind cost Maus?
    The frame and tables were $1850 (free delivery because I bought it at a quilt show).

  11. #11
    Super Member Pickles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,448
    Not bad at all and it was nice you got the delivery free , thanks for the info on it.
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    123
    Congratulations! You will have lots of fun!

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Southern New Mexico
    Posts
    113
    If you have never gone to the website Mqresource.com, go there. About twice a year they offer a "feather" class. I swear that once I took that, everything I did got easier. And honestly it is about Practice Practice Practice. Get yourself a sketch pad and draw draw draw. Keep your elbow up off the table when you are drawing because it is up when you are quilting! Also that website has some of the most phenomenal quilting too! Gives you lots of ideas! Join the forum (free). You will learn so much!

  14. #14
    Super Member nstitches4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Independence, MO
    Posts
    3,552
    Doing the happy dance right along with you! Congratulations!

  15. #15
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    28,583
    All I can add is enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Congratulations.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

  16. #16
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,502
    congratulations , i hope you and sally will learn to get along

  17. #17
    Senior Member ctipton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    fruitland id.
    Posts
    544
    Congrats .... Congrats....

  18. #18
    Super Member sewbeadit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    3,999
    Congratulations on your new toys. Practice, as they say and each time you will do something better or learn something new.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Any place I can sew
    Posts
    441
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Maus View Post
    I am doing the happy dance!!!
    Today I picked up a Janome 1600P QC and she (Sally!!!) is now happily on my Happy Jack frame (Jack !!! duhh) and working together very well. It's the operator who isn't working so well - I can see that this is going to take lots and lots and lots of practice !!!
    I have spent the day practicing on a sample top - OK not so good - but hopefully will get better with time and all those quilt tops waiting to be quilted will be done sooner rather than later.
    I have purchased a quilt pounce so thinking templates might be one way to go - so will be looking at getting some templates later when I've managed to have a bit more control.
    If anyone has any suggestions for any books or tips that would help my huge learning curve - it would be very much appreciated.
    Something tells me nothing else will be done this weekend - I'm having too much fun !!!!
    Doing the HAPPY dance with you and for you.

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    metro Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,278
    As long as you are having FUN, you know you will only get better becasue you won't want to stop!
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.