Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My pins seem to be getting rusty >

My pins seem to be getting rusty

My pins seem to be getting rusty

Old 02-16-2010, 07:36 AM

I've been sewing since I was 12 and I haven't swallowed a pin in 45 years. Of course, I use quilting pins that are 1-1/2 to 1-3/4" long. If I had applique or beading pins in my mount, it might be a different story. Be careful if you have an electronic machine to keep the magnetic pin holder away from it. I don't know exactly how it works with sewing machines, but I do kow that Magnets will erase information from tapes and such.

To get rid of the rust on your pins, use the "strawberry" that's attached to your pincushion or buy one. It is filled with some type of emery powder and will remove the rust and take small burrs off your pins and needles. To get the best results, grip it firmly in one hand with your fingers, and with the other hand, poke the pin into the strawberry several times.

I make pincushions from bars of soap -- I don't take the paper off, but many say they do, to release the scent. Wrap a strip of batting around bar of soap a couple times, then wrap it with a piece of fabric. If you want to make it a little easier to put pins in at first, take a hammer or a meat tenderizer and GENTLY hit the bar of soap to crack it. I've been using soap pincushions for about 5 years and never have a rusted pin. Plus, the soap makes the pin slide smoother through the fabric. If you've ever used soap on a screw to make it easier to screw into wood, you'll understand what I mean.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:44 AM

Glad you mentioned about the magnets erasing from the electronic machines. I just got a new Bernina, computerized and nobody said anything about the magnet pin holders.
I am all for simple things .
Old 02-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
I've been sewing since I was 12 and I haven't swallowed a pin in 45 years. Of course, I use quilting pins that are 1-1/2 to 1-3/4" long. If I had applique or beading pins in my mount, it might be a different story. Be careful if you have an electronic machine to keep the magnetic pin holder away from it. I don't know exactly how it works with sewing machines, but I do kow that Magnets will erase information from tapes and such.

To get rid of the rust on your pins, use the "strawberry" that's attached to your pincushion or buy one. It is filled with some type of emery powder and will remove the rust and take small burrs off your pins and needles. To get the best results, grip it firmly in one hand with your fingers, and with the other hand, poke the pin into the strawberry several times.

I make pincushions from bars of soap -- I don't take the paper off, but many say they do, to release the scent. Wrap a strip of batting around bar of soap a couple times, then wrap it with a piece of fabric. If you want to make it a little easier to put pins in at first, take a hammer or a meat tenderizer and GENTLY hit the bar of soap to crack it. I've been using soap pincushions for about 5 years and never have a rusted pin. Plus, the soap makes the pin slide smoother through the fabric. If you've ever used soap on a screw to make it easier to screw into wood, you'll understand what I mean.
Nice idea about the soap....I may just have to try this one...love the bonus of scent, weight, slick, and lo-cost!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:14 PM

Speaking of pins, what's your recommendation for brand of pins for quilting. I have several kinds in my holder and some seem dull and some the shaft seems thicker and they are harder to use. I want a really sharp, "slim" pin. Suggestions?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:57 PM

i used to put pins in my mouth utill one day when i sneezed with pins in my mouth 2 days later and i hospital bill if 31,000 dollas four hours in surgery to remove the pin i nolong put pins in my mouth i have apin cusion closr buy and i have a magnet for the one that drop on the floor
god bless and good luck
Old 02-16-2010, 04:24 PM

I never put pins in my mouth. The thought makes me feel like my gag reflex is going in motion.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
I've heard that if you puta piece of chalk in with them, it will prevetn rust from forming! and mine spend lots of time in my mouth, at least when I don't have little people around!
So, a stick of chalk and pins in mouth? :lol:
Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 PM

A quick note about pins in the mouth: When I was in high school, if our home economics teacher caught us with a pin in our mouth, it was an automatic F for that class, consequently, I refrain from doing that; she was stressing the danger & trying to eliminate that habit in her classes...[/quote]

I am with you, this is a NO NO. In my country, the muslim ladies use pins to tug their veils. A few months ago, a girl hold a pin in her mouth when she dressed up. Bad luck she sneezed, and accidentally swallowed the pin. The pin got stuck in her throat (could not get in or get out). It was in the local TV news, to warn the girls not to do the same. No further news however about this poor girl. A true story, not a fairy-tale.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:09 PM

I always have pins in my mouth, but they have the large flowers on the top them, so I don't have to worry about swallowing them. Believe they are stainless steel
Old 02-17-2010, 07:34 AM

Yes I put them in my mouth to but I also stick them in my Blouse the grandkids use to not want Nana Hugs if I had been sewing I guess they got stuck a few times