Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My quilt needs to be washed?

Check your LQS for synthrapol. It is a detergent used in the wash-out of hand dyed fabrics. It keeps loose dye particles of dye in suspension so they don't stain other areas of the fabric. It can also be order online here,

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2127-AA.shtml

HTH~ Annette

Gday, what a beautiful first Quilt, and such a big one too, you have done a wonderful job.

Can someone explain what a colour catcher is, never heard of this before, i sometimes wash my fabrics, not all the time though, sew still yet to experience any shrinkage after putting a quilt together. Penny :)

Some have said that the color catchers don't work well in the front loader washers. With something like this, would it be taken to a laundromat? It doesn't seem a top loader would be big enough for most quilts.

p.s. It's a beautiful quilt!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyj123
    Gday, what a beautiful first Quilt, and such a big one too, you have done a wonderful job.

Can someone explain what a colour catcher is, never heard of this before, i sometimes wash my fabrics, not all the time though, sew still yet to experience any shrinkage after putting a quilt together. Penny :)
    A color catcher is a sheet (it looks similar to a fabric sheet) that is placed in the washer and it catches any dyes that come off in the wash. They are made by shout brand products. I have has wonderful experience with them. From my understanding they don't work in a front load washer.

Blog Entries
    How wonderful for a first quilt! Are you sure it was your first? LOL

Thanks heaps for that, unfortunately i do have a front loader. bugga.

Was also wondering is it best to wash your quilts after finish making them. I am too frightened that it might fall apart. :?

I am hoping that i have done a good job, but there is always the thought that i haven't. I have completed a quilt as you go for a wedding present tossing up on whether to wash it b4 i give it away.

Marta,
    Your quilt is gorgeous! I love the colors you used. Wash in cold water on the gentle cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by pennyj123
    Thanks heaps for that, unfortunately i do have a front loader. bugga.

Was also wondering is it best to wash your quilts after finish making them. I am too frightened that it might fall apart. :?
    I am hoping that i have done a good job, but there is always the thought that i haven't. I have completed a quilt as you go for a wedding present tossing up on whether to wash it b4 i give it away.
    I always wash my quilts before I give them away. I have 4
    dogs and gotta make sure that its furfree.
    Your quilts won't fall apart if you've constructed them well&
    used good quality fabrics. The recipient of your quilt will need to wash the quilt at some point.

color catchers work great

Blog Entries
    Yes, this was my first quilt I made. I've made 7 since.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
    How wonderful for a first quilt! Are you sure it was your first? LOL

Blog Entries
    Sorry.... what does LQS stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by annettewink
    Check your LQS for synthrapol. It is a detergent used in the wash-out of hand dyed fabrics. It keeps loose dye particles of dye in suspension so they don't stain other areas of the fabric. It can also be order online here,

HTH~ Annette

If giving as gifts, better you to wash it first than to give it away and the recipient washes and there's a problem with bleeding, weak seams, stray threads, whatever. That could be potentially embarrassing to you and/or them.

Just my two cents.

First time in the wash I always use 2 Color Catchers in cold water.

Quote Originally Posted by martapr
    Sorry.... what does LQS stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by annettewink

HTH~ Annette
    Local quilt shop.

I couldn't do without my color catchers! I've never had any problems with them. I can pre-wash lots of different colors if I use the cc's. I did an "experiment" with reds, blues, yellows, and lots of different prints and colors just to see what would happen. Everything came out fine.

Good luck!

BTW, what a beautiful work of art.

The sashing on my quilt is a purplish/pink batik and it needs to be cleaned. I attached a pic. What do you recommend?
    Hello, Your quilt is just Beautiful!!! I love the colors!! :XD: :thumbup: :mrgreen:

Wash in cold water on delicate cycle with Synthrapol and a couple of color catchers. Don't dry in dryer. Just put it on the bed or somewhere flat and block it out.

I used to prewash my fabrics but then I thought "why am I doing this when nothing ever runs" so now I never wash them and I always wash myquilts after finishing them because I want to see any mistakes before I give them away. I have never had any problems. I put the quilt and wash it as I would anything else, but I do half dry them in the dryer and put it on the bed to finish drying. I have instructed the recipients to do it the same way and so far, after a number of years, no problems. I feel that quilts are made to be used so I make sure they are firmly sewed (I am a hand quilter by the way) and that almost guarantees it to not fall apart. Incidentaly, I "quilt" by poking the needle in and pulling it out as if I were sewing a button on. I cannot get the hang of regular quilting and after some practice, it all looks pretty good and the grandchildren are just as warm under them. I tell them that the quilt is like grandma's love and hugs and that is what keeps them warm.

Beautiful quilt.

if you are really worried, you could always fill up a bathtub and hand wash it that way. looks too big for a sink. I would try the color catchers in the tub with that synthrup(SP?) stuff that is supposed to catch the colors. I would start with a corner in the water and then go from there if it bleeds really bad I don't know what to do. good luck let us know how it works. I always pre-wash my batiks just to be sure that they don't bleed. pain in the toosh but it saves heartache later.

I can't answer your question just wanted to say your quilt is beautiful.

Shout color catcher for sure! I had a quilt bleed and was able to get the bleed out with several washings, using the color catchers. I ALWAYS use a color catcher, or two in the first washing of my quilts. I use a color catcher for every wash thereafter, until the bleeding stops.

I would test the color, to see if it bleeds easily. Wash in the larges washer possible, cold water, lots of color catchers. Don't dry in a dryer, hang it if you can.

Or just send it to me. It would look great on my bed.

Local quit shop/store

Blog Entries
    You quilt is absolutely exquisite! I love the pattern! I love the colors! I have washed quilts in cold water with white vinegar in the water to set the colors and it worked fine.

The sashing on my quilt is a purplish/pink batik and it needs to be cleaned. I attached a pic. What do you recommend?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast