Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilting machine is in time out >

My quilting machine is in time out

My quilting machine is in time out

Old 07-18-2019, 01:50 AM

Default My quilting machine is in time out

Wanting it to realize how totally frustrated I've gotten with it. Stitches just fine for a day and the next day having to rip out all my stitches over and over again. It's skipping stitches two inches long every few minutes. It's been clean and oiled, rethreaded, different bobbin, have tried speeding up and slowing down, the tension is always perfect so it's not messed with. With about three or 4 rows of meandering to go until I'm finished I'm pulling my hair out. Day like this give me doubts about my quilting ability and all the money I've spent on the Grace SR2 frame, the Janome 1600P machine, thread, fabric, patterns rulers, templates etc. Ready to sell it all and take up counted cross stitch, hand embroidery and crochet again. Tell me I'm not the only one that feels like this at times.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:58 AM

Hugs! I’m sorry I don’t have a solution to your problem, but just remember it’s not you, it’s the machine and I think anyone who quilts their own quilts has had moments where we just want to sell it all and return to sanity ��. Gremlins are beyond frustrating! I can’t wait to see your fishes quilt.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:17 AM

My story exactly. My Juki was sewing a few good stitches, then a long,long stitch. I have stitch regulator and wondered if it was going bad--kept changing the desired stitch and ripping out. Walked away for days, changed needle,thread several times to no avail. Struggled to get the quilt off the frame (it will be my "ugly nap-under quilt"). Haven't been back to start another but plan to baste a sandwich today and see what happens. So frustrating and the rip out makes me want to rant. Hope you fixed yours!
Old 07-18-2019, 03:28 AM

No, you are not alone. There have been a couple of times I have been to the point of not selling, just opening the window and pitching it all out. That's when I knew it was time to just "back away, very slowly"
Old 07-18-2019, 03:33 AM

If you are using the surestitch regulator on your frame it could be the stitch regulator. Mine just went out and I am now sewing without it and doing just fine. Far less thread breakage and moving along.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:34 AM

Some projects just don't work smoothly... even when you are accustomed to the machine, using the same batting, etc.

Try if there is a difference in stitch regulator on or off, likewise if it is one particular direction. You may have to clean the sensors and/or tracks.

I have one quilt that the stitch quality is just terrible on, it was an easy quilting pattern, I had done a quilt a week or so before that was fine. The one after was fine. But this one was not...

You've probably already done it but it can't hurt to change the needle again, sometimes they have flaws or the machine I used was very sensitive about it being perfectly aligned, of course it had nothing to really help you do that. I would take the old needle and stick it in the eye of the new needle to keep it aligned while tightening the screw.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:26 AM

Okay...deep breaths! Most of these problems can be solved by going through a step by step "checklist". First, try what the last 2 posters have asked you...is this problem in stitch regulated mode or manual, or both?
Are your skipped stitches in one direction or the other, or on curves? Are your tracks and encoders clean?
All of the answers to these questions will help us help you. As long as your machine is running, it can be helped! Deep breaths, then look at it and let us know.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:05 AM

I feel your pain. Was in a $350. Embroidery class (not counting supples) when my machine acted up. Luckily the store was able to supply me with another machine just like mine. It took 2 weeks for them to locate the problem. They even called the maker for ideas on what was going on. Got it home and worked on piecing a quilt and small embroidery project. Next day needle would not go up & down. Back to shop. Needed further adjustment because of previous problem. But all is well that ends well. It is now home and stitching just like new. Hope the same works out for you. Let us know how it works out.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I have had to go through my machine manual step by step. The bobbin tension had over time tightened too much. Just a hair loosening fixed it all. Also a loose bit of thread or lint could be hanging it up. I also had to clean out the lever that moves the needle up and down. Lots of lint built up in there.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:21 PM

Your not alone in this painful process. I have experienced this too, as mentioned above, it was my encoders. I cleaned, oiled, and adjusted them, runs great now. Take a deep breath, take a break, and load your machine with practice fabric and when your ready, play investigator. Just observe your machine while it's stitching and when the errors occcur, look for reasons why. Good luck. Hope you figure it out.