Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My rotary cutter causing my back problems, ugh! >

My rotary cutter causing my back problems, ugh!

My rotary cutter causing my back problems, ugh!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I agree start with the height of your cutting table.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

My shoulder would hurt when I used the rotary cutter more then a few minutes. A PT said to have my cutting surface low enough so my elbow won't have to bend when cutting. No more shoulder pain. I got the Accuquilt Go and I have the turning handle no higher then my hip.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:28 AM

Kitchen counter height is perfect for me. (I'm short) Elbows bend at 90 degree angle, body is straight.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

when we bought our new condo, I got a pub height table. dh just found out why I wanted it...great for cutting
Old 09-08-2013, 12:41 PM

If the pieces are small enough, I prefer sitting down. I have a nice 12" X 18" cutting board that turns (it has nice ball bearings in it) that works great and I can cut for quite a while if I'm sitting down. I also use a sturdy tray - cost about $20 from Lowe's that is large enough for this cutting board. (It's a cutting mat glued to a board - real nice - picked it up at a yard sale!)

If I have to cut strips/borders, I use my cutting table but get the dreaded burning in my shoulder blades. I usually just cut one or two sets at a time and do something else for a while.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

ITA re taking a look at the table height.
Also, with doing less at a time.

Two other things .......
* sharpness of the rotary blade -- the duller the blade gets, the more pressure we put on the cutter to do its job. A new blade can make cutting somewhat easier, and less stress on your shoulder/back.

* relax -- sometimes we put more pressure on the cutter than truly is necessary.

And another consideration ... the rotary cutting may falsely being blamed!!!!

Take a look at the ergonomics of all facets of your sewing area (and other things in your life). It could be that these other thing(s) are/have caused the damage and it is showing itself to you when you are doing the rotary cutting; and the rotary cutting not being the root cause.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Kitchen counter height is perfect for me. (I'm short) Elbows bend at 90 degree angle, body is straight.
I'm 5"2 1/2" tall. I was told counter height was too tall for anyone 5"3 and under. Don't bend your back, raise your shoulder or jut your neck is the key to cutting. My sewing machine is well below my elbows. I look down to sew. I can sew or cut all day and not be hurting the next day. What you are comfortable with may not be the best for you. I was awkward using the lower level for a while.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:49 PM

The thing that made a difference for me (already mentioned here) was an ergonomic rotary cutter. It keeps your wrist from having to assume an unnatural position and really helps your back. Mine (Olfa) also automatically closes when you release it -- no more exposed blades!

As mentioned by everyone, a higher cutting surface is another important element -- try using your kitchen island (or counter.) It works great with the biggest cutting mat you can buy.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
http://generationqmagazine.com/2011/...e-stitchy-set/

Good article about just this topic.
Really good article, I will have to search for the next installments they mentioned.

Point for consideration - You have already problem solved that your difficulties arise when using the cutting table, if the back spasms did not occur when you used scissors so, is it possible you are reaching out beyond your centre of gravity to cut fabric width - that can and does contribute to a sore back. So does "forgetting" to take frequent breaks/change of position.

Good luck with sorting out what is causing your problems, and happy quilting!
GEMRM