Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My second scrappy quilt >

My second scrappy quilt

My second scrappy quilt

Old 06-24-2016, 10:28 AM

Default My second scrappy quilt

sorry,my 1st scrappy is at the longerarmer so no pictures. I did a queen Cat'itude quilt and used the creative grid ruler and everything worked perfectly. Now I am working on a scrappy 16 block square of 2.5" squares.The square is 8.5 which is16 squares together. I am hoping it will end up in aBonnie Hunter pattern. But, I am almost ready to give up. I am careful with my cutting and my 1/4" seam. But, I have more that are a little off than are right on. Does BH have a tutorial that would help me or do any of you wonderful quilters have suggestions? I am not a new quilter but I am really disappointed with myself. Any comments would be appreciated.
Btw did I say I hate auto correct😁
Old 06-24-2016, 10:50 AM

BH's website is http://quiltville.blogspot.com/

She has lots of tutorials under the heading 'Tips & Techniques'.

How much 'off' are your units? Often you can still put units together accurately even if they're a little short of perfection individually.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

you say that you are sewing an accurate 1/4" seam. But you aren't measuring the actual seam, are you? We talk about a 1/4" seam, but you don't measure the seam, you measure the resultant patch and sew wherever you need to to get the patch to come out correctly. If you change your fabrics or thread, your seam may need to be changed. I check at the beginning of each project and adjust as needed. Here's how to check:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
the other things that can cause a problem are inaccurate cuts. If possible, use the same ruler for the whole quilt, or at least the same brand.
and finally check your pressing and make sure you are not ironing in a tiny crease in the seam.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:30 PM

Thank you both. I checked BH tips and tricks. I think my problem is probably the cutting and how to use my ruler. I will follow her tips and see if I can be more accurate. At least it is something to strive for. Thank you again.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:38 PM

I can highly recommend Sally Collins' book on precise machine piecing. I once took an all day workshop with her and it was hands-down the best class I ever took. Still is.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:38 PM
Power Poster

This may not make sense, but I find if I over cut by an 1/8" then when I have sewn two together, I press and starch and then trim them down to the perfect size. I don't prewash and notice sometimes when pressing the fabric, it will shrink just enough to make block just a bit smaller. Paper P is correct. Measure the final size of the squares after sewn.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 PM

Excellent information and things to try.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:12 AM

Do you preWash your fabric? I did not used to, but once I had a fabric that I cut accurately but steam pressed them before sewing them and after they were pressed the squares didn't fit my other pieces. I finally measured them before and after pressing and my 8" squares had shrunk to 7 3/4"! Likewise after sewing two pieces together it it easy to iron them out of shape if you are heavy handed with the iron vs 'pressing'.