Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My sewing is really going to slow down

I go back August as well. College level - six classes to teach for 15 weeks. Fast paced, lots of grading.

I go back in one month. I have so much to do this week. Dh is hiking with a friend for the week. Next week we go back to painting the house.

My dd goes back Aug 15th. Yes, bless you teachers because I can only handle the two I have.

We really start early this year here in Indiana. I am glad I am out of the school system and my kids are out of school. With this heat, I am sure there are going to be many half days anyway! Why can't they wait until after Labor Day?

Blog Entries
    I can fully underwtand that you are too pooped to be creative with a room full of 5y/o!! My DGD is only 3 y/o and she, alone, runs my energy way down.

I truly thank you for this sacrifice/service for the little ones.:)

Wow, back to school already???

Bless all of you teachers, for everything you do, I know it cannot be easy somedays.

I know what you mean, my 3 year old g baby and her mother are coming to live with me and I'm trying like heck to finish up lots of projects before October, I want them to come live with me my g baby has special needs and I need to help my daughter. I am so happy they'll be here soon.

My sewing can be put on hold for a while

Bless you teachers. I was one of you and for years cherished the summer months. I taught students from age 3 years to fourth grade. August is early to start but... lucky Michigan folk, classes are not allowed to start until after Labor Day by law. The down side to the later start is students often are in the classroom until mid June and it is HOT and most schools don't have air conditioning. Cranky kiddos! (Sometimes teachers too!)

I teach university classes now and start in a few weeks. Like any teacher I am up to my neck with planning, planning, planning. No more or less work than kindergarten, just taller students. I am quilting like a mad lady these last few weeks because I know when September begins, I will have to clean up the sewing room and look forward to week-end only quilt adventures. I too come home at the end of the day and fall on my couch or big chair exhausted. Working with a couple of hundred college students can be like herding cats. I really like my work, but it is that, work. Quilt on teachers and the Christmas holiday break is only 5 months away! Tee-Hee

Bless all of you teachers! I would not even be able to read today if it hadn't been for a kind teacher who stayed after school to help my sister and me after we moved and were way behind in the new school. You are each the rock upon which our childrens' future depends. I only wish that more people appreciated and rewarded you as you so richly deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    WOW that is early. They don't start school here until Sept. I hope you can find some "me time" with your busy schedule. Maybe even 30 min a day???
    NY is one of the few states left that start in September. It's based on the old farming schedules of the 19th century. Children were needed at home for harvesting, seed planting and garden tending and then out of the way at other times so most northern states adopted a more steady Sept.-June schedule instead of their Nov.-April that they were doing here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by hsweany
    I go back to work tomorrow. I teach Kindergarten and i can tell you after a day with 5 year olds all i can do is lie on the couch. I love my job, but August 1....really.
    Be sure to post lots of pics to get me motivated by the weekend! Lol
    I know how you feel, to an extent. I homeschool my daughters but since they're in 2 different grades, sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded with kids and questions. :lol: We live in NY (that has a Sept.-June schedule) but we homeschool from Aug.-May. We start three weeks from today and I'm trying desperately to finish a baby quilt for a friend and my oldest daughter's birthday quilt before that time.

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    I have been retired from teaching for five years now. Put in 35 yrs and said goodby. When I started, and for a long time after, we started classes on the day after Labor Day. Great!! Right?? Well, we were still in school June 11, and if we had snow days to make up, even longer. We didn't have a/c. After 20 yrs., Mother's Club bought us ceiling fans!!! I remember one week when temp. went to 105*
    I must sound "ancient" but I would much rather have gone back in August!
    You will start "enjoying" after you see the kids! I miss them alot.

I want to ask a question. Why is school starting so early? It does not seem fair to students and teachers. Are the kids really learning more? I guess I am getting to the age of not wanting to change.

Mine go back Aug 17 - let the quilting begin!!! I have a 1st and 3rd grader and I'm 63!! We adopted my husbands great-grandchildren 6 years ago - God has a wonderful sense of humor!! Please don't misunderstand - I ADORE them, but groups of children give me hives and I admire you teachers more than I can say!

Blog Entries
    My classroom doesn't have AC!! Anyone who complains about having it is really lucky.

We go back on the 25th. And I have highschoolers.

Same here in TN tho the state has decreed to start moving the date up starting next year. It's nice to get out in May but the kids really don't get much time for summer and sometimes it's hard for the parents to plan vacations.

Bless your heart! I keep 3 little girls just on Saturday most weeks ages 2 to almost 7, sometimes 5, the oldest two are worse! I'm ready for them to go home when the time comes!

my grandaughter is 6 be in first grade starts aug18 i am going to miss her during the day bless all the teachers and i had some of the best thanks to all of you teachers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs
    Thank you all u teachers! It's not an easy job, pay and benefits aren't great but I appreciate it!!!
    I appreciate you all too!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Mickie612
    I want to ask a question. Why is school starting so early? It does not seem fair to students and teachers. Are the kids really learning more? I guess I am getting to the age of not wanting to change.
    I will try to explain as it is in our area in central IN....for very many years our statewide testing was in mid-Sept. Testing is so high-stakes that schools went to starting earlier and earlier in Aug. in order to get in that much needed review. Now testing has moved to spring but most schools have not changed.

I heard on the news this morning that one of the larger districts in the Indpls area went back today. They are going on a year-round balanced calendar that is something like 9 weeks in school 2 weeks off and then maybe a month in the summer. Later this week and next week many of the other school districts in central IN are going back. One comment I read over and over is that we are no longer an agricultural based society so our calendars do not need to reflect that.

There has been a push each fall by somebody to get the legislature to mandate an after-Labor Day starting date for all schools. This poses problems as well...for one thing, the date for Labor Day is different each year. On the years that it is late (like the 6th or 7th) it would be well into June when school is scheduled to dismiss for the summer. What happens if there are several snow days to make up in June? It is conceivable that school could last almost the entire month of June.

Another issue that we have to deal with at my school (and I imagine others deal with, as well)...Little League baseball and softball start earlier and earlier each year now that we have gone to Daylight Saving Time in early March! From that point on we are struggling with families who do not understand that school needs to come first and are allowing their children to stay up way too late at night. And, to be very honest with you, the days we are in school past Memorial Day are pretty much wasted days. All the little ones can think about is getting home to play in the pool or ride bikes.

Actually, the real solution would be a late Aug (like about the 25tth-28th) start and shortening up Xmas vacation so that we could still be out by about Memorial Day. But, I am guessing that since most schools in our area are air-conditioned now...we will probably end up on a year-round calendar before too long (I have read where our esteemed state supt of ed wants to add days to the magic 180 we have now). There are both pros and cons to year-round school. Personally, I will retire if that happens. I turned 55 in July and am now eligible for early-retirement. I still like teaching my kdg kids but the day will come....

Sorry my post is so long. Just wanted to explain to those who maybe have always wondered about school calendars!

Blog Entries
    My GD starts kindergarten this year and I am tired as can be after having just her all day!! Thank you for what you do! Hugs!!! :-D :-D :-D

My kids go back in 1 week and 2 days. This has probably been the worst summer ever, not just for my family, but my quilting as well. I haven't dug out my machine in weeks....bad quilter!

I tend to get a lot more work done from August to June anyway, so I'll need to be picking up again once the kids are back in school. I have a lot of table runner to crank out before January!

Bless you from a retired kindergarten teacher. The first six weeks each year always felt similar to the six weeks after childbirth--anticipation, struggle, joy, exhilaration, bonding and utter exhaustion.

It's still fun to pop in a dvd of Kindergarten Cop and play and re-play the scene with Arnold Schartzenegger collapsing after his first day teaching kindergarten: "They're horrible. They're like little terrorists." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ours come back Sept 6th! I teach 8th grade -- almost 400 of them a year!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast