Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My silk quilt in progress >

My silk quilt in progress

My silk quilt in progress

Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 AM

As I posted earlier, I bit the bullet and started on my Silk Tempest (Cherry House Quilts) quilt a few days back. All seems to be going well. It is almost all cut out. Usually I cut a little, sew a little, etc. But since this quilt is going to require a different type of thread and needle I didn't want to start sewing until I could just sew and not worry about whether I would have to rethread and change needles midstream. Anyway, my question today is...any thoughts on whether I should press my seams open rather than to the side...no triangles here, just squares and rectangles. With the addition of the fusible interfacing my thought is to press open. BTW, I did not realize that silk is like batik in that there doesn't seem to be any right or wrong side.
I took a picture of the pile of fabrics and when I get all the cutting done and the first couple of blocks sewn I will hog tie my son and get him to post pics for me.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 AM

Can't wait to see the pictures. Pressing the seams will depend a lot on how the seams line up when the blocks are sewn together. If they are all pressed open then every cross seam will have the same amount of bulk. I don't know if I said that right.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:36 AM

I have wanted to make a silk quilt also...
have bought kimono scraps in eBay...
Old 06-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

when i made my silk quilt i did not even think about pressing the seams open instead of to the side---so mine were pressed to the side- for matching intersections- i would think it is totally up to you= if you like it better with the seams pressed open by all means do so--- with the silks in my quilt you can tell (after quilted/bound and washed/dried) that the seams were pressed that way-it is obvious...but i don't think it detracts from the quilt---and anyone not a quilter would have no idea---i can tell because i look. and i believe if you press them open you will be able to look at the finished quilt and see that they were pressed open- just like i can tell they are too the side.
it's up to you===no quilt police to tell you it's wrong- nothing is wrong==just different.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I would like to see the pictures.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like fun