Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My Upcoming Quilt.......or Disaster!!!! by Danmar >
  • My Upcoming Quilt.......or Disaster!!!! by Danmar

• My Upcoming Quilt.......or Disaster!!!! by Danmar

Old 08-03-2010, 05:43 AM

After reading the thread about you quilt for Pauline...I know why I stick to the policy of not dealing with relatives. I learned the hard way a long time ago that no matter what you do...they will not be pleased!!!!
    Old 08-03-2010, 06:31 AM
    Banned

Oh Sweetie! I think you are totally nucking futs! (In a loving way, of course :lol: ). If you charge her a penny less than $1000.00, not counting material, to do this quilt, you need to have "SUKKAH" tattooed on your forehead!! And I want you to make my next quilt for me! ROFLMAO
    Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 AM

There is absolutely no way that I would make such a quilt for only $200. How long is it going to take you? A week? Two weeks? More? And then binding it too?

This is one reason that I don't think that I could do quilts by request. I MIGHT be able to deal with someone saying they wanted A particular color but to be picking out fabrics and making custom designs? Heck no.

I made my kids' quilts like that but just told them to choose a fabric collection online. I decided on the design.
    Old 08-03-2010, 06:37 AM

WoW! This is definitely a story to follow. If you are concerned that she will back out on you, ask for 50% up front. Another thought would be to quote your price at this moment with an upcharge of $50 for each following change in the future. Easy for me to say; I'm not related to her. I'll be waiting for the next episode.
    Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by eimay
    quote your price at this moment with an upcharge of $50 for each following change in the future.
    Oooh, that is great advice!! Every change ups the price!!
    Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 AM

I, too think you have the patience of a saint and will be following this saga. WOW!!!
    Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 AM

That whole story is exactly why I either won't make quilts on order for people or will only let them have limited input such as
    what are your favorite colors or what color scheme is the room the quilt will be used in. You have more patience than any saint I ever heard of. I would have to add about $500 to the price just for all the agrivation so far. Good Luck!
    Old 08-03-2010, 08:16 AM

Thanks everybody for your interest and the wonderful tips. I especially like eimay's suggestion, as follows:

WoW! This is definitely a story to follow. If you are concerned that she will back out on you, ask for 50% up front. Another thought would be to quote your price at this moment with an upcharge of $50 for each following change in the future. Easy for me to say; I'm not related to her. I'll be waiting for the next episode.

I think I'll tell her $50 for any more changes. That would help. This simple quilt is turning into something that is going to take me months to make, especially with now being a finalist in the McCall's Quilting Contest. I'll have to design and make my Challenge quilts and then work on this in my spare time (while the contest is in the Voting Periods). I will keep you all updated on what is happening.

I think it will be a beautiful quilt when I am finished with it. At least I hope so! I just really hope NOT to disappoint her. Thanks everybody for your encouragement and for taking the time to read my many posts and stories. I appreciate it.

Marilyn
    Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 AM

I think this is great. Trying to get the pattern perfect for someone is a lot of the fun of quilting. I do have one question to ask all of you...I keep seeing the EP5 and EP6, is this a program for the computer or the sewing machine, or both?
    Old 08-03-2010, 09:15 AM

What ever she is paying you is not nearly enough. You must be in line for sainthood!