Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Wife Is “Cutting Up” Again.... >

My Wife Is “Cutting Up” Again....

My Wife Is “Cutting Up” Again....

Old 06-28-2014, 12:53 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Do you realize that when you use a ONE INCH SQUARE, you actually lose 3/4ths of your fabric of that one inch square into the seam allowance?!!
That's a huge waste in my (not so humble ) opinion!

Think of it, you pay -- say -- $10 per yard for fabric, then you lose $7.50 of fabric just into the seam allowances. OMG!

THAT, my friend, is one good reason I (personally) don't use these mini (one might even say 'macro' sized) squares.
That and the fact that, like others, I can't well manipulate stuff that tiny any more.

You're welcome.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails using-one-inch-squares.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Oh my goodness!! I like cutting, but I would have to draw the line at 1 inch squares. Pity I gave all my scraps to the church, as I could have sent her some.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
That's a huge waste in my (not so humble) opinion!
Jan in VA
Jan,

If you owned and operated the best little fabric shop in Southwestern Oklahoma, bar none, would that change your mind?

You're also welcome.

CD in Oklahoma

Last edited by ThayerRags; 06-28-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:08 PM

For those of you that think only of dollars, try to think of the accomplishment of putting so many tiny pieces together to make a big thing that is useful. Yes, it’s a lot of work, but worth it.

That’s what gals used to do back in the day......haven’t you heard?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-28-2014, 03:36 PM

It's a beautiful pattern, but there's no way on God's green earth that I would even THINK about doing it.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

Do you have a picture or link to see the pattern? It is a tremendous amount of cutting and I would do it as I assembled it.
peace
Old 06-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Do you realize that when you use a ONE INCH SQUARE, you actually lose 3/4ths of your fabric of that one inch square into the seam allowance?!!
That's a huge waste in my (not so humble ) opinion!

Think of it, you pay -- say -- $10 per yard for fabric, then you lose $7.50 of fabric just into the seam allowances. OMG!

THAT, my friend, is one good reason I (personally) don't use these mini (one might even say 'macro' sized) squares.
That and the fact that, like others, I can't well manipulate stuff that tiny any more.

You're welcome.

Jan in VA
Jan, this is very good information. I don't think I would buy material to make mini patches but I would use scraps which otherwise would be thrown out, another waste of fabric. Thanks for putting a good perspective on small patches.
peace
Old 06-28-2014, 03:50 PM

I've been to a couple of Joan's workshops and trunk shows (she lives not far from here)and can assure you that this quilt is both worth it and beautiful. Here's a link to some pics from Joan's blog showing a 99 Bottles class, as well as a picture of her finished quilt. http://scrap-therapy-quilts.blogspot...9-bottles.html

I do hope to see some pictures along the way, as well as the completed quilt. Kind of has to be finished, now that you've outed her, lol.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
For those of you that think only of dollars, try to think of the accomplishment of putting so many tiny pieces together to make a big thing that is useful. Yes, it’s a lot of work, but worth it.

That’s what gals used to do back in the day......haven’t you heard?

CD in Oklahoma
Scraps really aren't the same value as fabric yardage so even if you think in dollars, it's comparing apples to oranges. Leftovers from other projects that are otherwise not useful, made useful is the whole idea. I make tons of scrap quilts and I rarely pay much or anything for the fabric. Other quilters don't want it and I take it off their hands.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:49 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Jan,

If you owned and operated the best little fabric shop in Southwestern Oklahoma, bar none, would that change your mind?

You're also welcome.CD in Oklahoma
Wow, you betcha!! (And thank you for playing along rather than taking offense...of which NONE was intended!!)

Jan in VA