Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: The Mystery Pattern

Aim

The Mystery Pattern

Hi All,

Have you ever seen a quilt online and then found yourself spending endless hours googling, pintresting in an attempt to track down a pattern? That's what happened to me. My daughter's graduating and I wanted to send her off with a blanket. It's taken me all year to find the right pattern. When I stumbled on the perfect pattern - the must have - the only pattern that will do - it turns out it's probably from 2010-12. I tracked down the maker of this quilt - and the company who designed this quilt patterns but neither of them have it any more. I have even done google image searches. And searched under stripped quilts galore.

I've search the www high and low and I've flipped through ever quilting book at the library to no avail. I was wondering if anyone might have seen a pattern like this? Or have an idea of where else I might turn? Or if it has a specific name that I might use to search for it more effectively. I've attached the image I first found.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Hi & welcome to the board. I'm a bit confused. You say you tracked down the maker of the quilt & the designer of the pattern, but you don't know the name?

To be honest, it looks like a pieced quilt back where they used left over pieces from a quilt.
    It should be easy to duplicate. The strips look pieced with random sized patches. Decide on the width of the narrow pieced strip (probably 2 or 3 inches). The strip on the right looks to be 3X the narrow strip (so 6 or 9") and the wide center strip is 4X (8 or 12) the background strips separating the 3 pieced columns are the same width as the narrow pieced band. Add strips of the background fabric to make it the width you want.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Sorry you spent so much futile time on it! If you could decide on any measurement that you'd like for even one of the pieces, the rest should be easy to figure out. With that measurement quite a few of us would be willing to draw out the pattern for you!

Oh, thanks PP! You beat me to it!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Agree with the others ...
    I'll add that it all looks pretty random, so all you need to do is to decide how wide you would like each of the columns and then just sew together a bunch of fabrics io random sizings until you have the length you want that column to be.

Then use your background fabric to join the pieced columns together.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    it looks like a modern quilt. or yes, could be a back but still we have no name. I will keep my eye out!

Super easy quilt to make without a pattern! Just jump in and try.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

It does look like the back of a quilt.

Just decide how large you want it, then decide the width of your blocks. The left over measurement will be your background.
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

Blog Entries
    Looks to me like it is the picture of the back of a quilt. The binding is already on it.

Aim
    Thanks for responding. It was Oh Franson! And they just responded that it was old and they no longer had it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Hi & welcome to the board. I'm a bit confused. You say you tracked down the maker of the quilt & the designer of the pattern, but you don't know the name?

To be honest, it looks like a pieced quilt back where they used left over pieces from a quilt.
    It should be easy to duplicate. The strips look pieced with random sized patches. Decide on the width of the narrow pieced strip (probably 2 or 3 inches). The strip on the right looks to be 3X the narrow strip (so 6 or 9") and the wide center strip is 4X (8 or 12) the background strips separating the 3 pieced columns are the same width as the narrow pieced band. Add strips of the background fabric to make it the width you want.

Aim
    You guys are right - I'm really bad at math and in part I am cutting up pieces of the quilt I made my daughter when she was a baby. (It was accidentally ruined so I need to get this right the first time.) I am nervous that'll cut the blocks the wrong size and then they won't be quite as eye catching. Maybe I'm putting too much thought in this. I have other fabrics that I am going to incorporate as well.

Aim
    Thanks Paper princess - actually your name and comments have given me an idea - I could maybe try and cut the pieces of paper before I touch my fabric.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I found this similar pattern for 10" and charms. You can download the pattern for free, see beneath the photo.

http://www.ohfransson.com/all-projec...squares-quilts

My thought is that perhaps you should start on it and keep going as it seems just a random group of patches. I'd say relax and let the design happen and enjoy the process.

The quilt pictured seems to be one row of, say, 31/2" squares sewn in a long strip. Another looks like 2 1/2 long strips which are sewn into another long strip. You could try to duplicate the look by making a sample and seeing how you like the look. You could put the squares into one grocery bag and the narrower strips in another bag Then, reach into the bag and pull out one piece. Pull out another and unless it is exactly like the one you pulled before, sew the two together. Keep going like this until you have assembled one long row of your larger squares. Do the same thing with the narrow strips until you have two long strips. Put a different color of fabric with the strips and sew the three together. If you like the look, keep going.

I printed off the pattern suggested and it uses 10" squares. Each row is 10 inches. The one you like seems to have varying widths. You could make the rows 6 , 7, 8, 9, 10 inches with and 2 or 3 inch plain between and get 65 o 70 inches and add plain wide borders top and bottom and get a suitable length. Just use the random pattern for placement of colors. I hope you get a pattern you like.

Here's the pattern

https://web.archive.org/web/20100517...05/12-2-q.html

The pattern was a free PDF pattern and it can be downloaded from the abovementioned web address.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aim
    OMGosh thank you so much Jenbro!