Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery Projects >

Mystery Projects

Mystery Projects

Old 10-08-2013, 02:59 AM

Default Mystery Projects

Hi Has any one got any ideas on some mystery projects for a quilting group. I belong to a quilting group of about 50 ladies and we meet once a week. I am trying to come up with some group projects to get everyone one involved. We do class projects now, but I after something with some mystery. Some thing to keep them coming back for more. Something that keeps you guessing until the end. Cheers Jo.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:04 AM

Check out Merry Mayhem's mystery quilts. You may need to ask permission to use them but they are good.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

There are lots of Mystery Quilt projects free on the web ... just google!
Many are from other Guilds, designers and LQS'.

As a suggestion though, before you start with the first ... I would recommend you make the quilt thru to the finish, to ensure the instructions are complete and correctly written. There would be nothing worse than to have 50 Ladies part way thru the project than to have things go wrong with the pattern!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:25 AM

the Mystery train ride is a mystery quilt or tabletop and they are great just ask judy if you can use them.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:33 AM

What about a Crazy Quilt Square quilt.Each person can make a scrap crazy quilt square and when quilting each women picks a different stich to use on the quilt.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 AM

This woman does lots of free mysteries:

http://carterquilter.wordpress.com/
Old 10-08-2013, 09:08 PM

Hi Ladies Thanks for your reply's . I will look into it. I will also get permission to use them if needed. Happy Sewing everyone.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:10 AM

willferg, thanks for the link! Those are really nice patterns, and the designer is so generous to share them with everyone!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Rather than a mystery quilt, how about something like a brown bag exchange? First, you decide what your project is going to be and what your time frame is. It can be as small as a mug rug (1 week) or as large as a lap quilt (1 month); everyone just has to agree on the size and time frame. Then, everyone get the same bag (we would buy the $1 reusable grocery bags) and puts enough fabric to make the project. If it is a small to medium project, we would include the fabric to piece the top, and include the backing and binding, so we could complete it. If it was a lap quilt, we would just include the fabrics for the top. Everyone brings their bags to the meeting, and the bags are put together on a table or on the floor. Each member then picks a number from a basket. Starting with the member with #1, each member picks a bag. Before moving, she will look in the bag to make sure she isn't getting her own back. If she does, she puts it back and picks another. This continues until each member who brought a bag gets a bag. Then everyone takes their brown bag home and completes the project within the specified time frame. The mystery is that you don't know whose fabric you have and you don't know who has your fabric. I got a great baseball quilt top (for my son) and a lovely patriotic table runner when one of my bees did these exchanges.