Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Quilts - have you done any ?

Blog Entries

Mystery Quilts - have you done any ?

Have you done any/many mystery quilts ? Do you enjoy them ? I recently have become addicted to them LOL I did the New Years Day one- the Super Bowl Day one and working on the 3 issue one in McCalls - am I the only one falling in love with them ? What was your favorite one ?
    Care to share some pics as well ?
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Fabriclovr
    I love Love LOVE mystery quilts!!! I have done so many, I have lost track! I loved doing the New Years Day/Super Bowl Mystery! Wanta see my completed top?

Name:  IMG_3302.JPG
Views: 2283
Size:  168.0 KB

That is beautiful.

That is lovely. I have signed up for one at the retreat I am going to. I hope it turns out well because so far I am NOT a fan. I am a cut as you need it sort of person. This precutting all these HSTs is driving me nuts. I just know it is totally unnecessary and I am going to be so mad when I do it and there is an easier way! See how my mind works?

I am doing a BOM at the LQS this year and THAT is killing me. My sister says, "Mary, step outside of your box." But I like it in here and I am in CONTROL! So, I am trying one but not loving it so far....

Blog Entries
    Your quilt is gorgeous!

Blog Entries
    I have never done any yet. I absolutely love that one that fabriclovr posted a picture of though!
    Go forth and sew!

Blog Entries
    fabri, beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
    I love Love LOVE mystery quilts!!! I have done so many, I have lost track! I loved doing the New Years Day/Super Bowl Mystery! Wanta see my completed top?

Love your top!!! The colors are great!! From which website did you get this??

Your quilt is gorgeous! I did one BOM mystery quilt and didn't really like it too much. I wasn't happy with my fabric selection. I have a blast picking out fabrics to use in a quilt pattern and it was hard for me to pick fabrics without knowing the pattern.

Suzy

I also did the Super Bowl Sunday one and enjoyed it - however I have to say that I couldn't do it that day because of something else going on and I did cheat and saw what it looked like first - but in my defense, I had downloaded the directions and did intend on making it...
    There will be another one that is a larger quilt and will be a weekend mystery. I'm thinking of maybe doing that one as well since I enjoyed the first one so much.

Blog Entries
    I am doing my first one now from McCall's. Fun so far!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

My LQS is hosting a Mystery Quilt BOM. I'm not really feeling the colors I choose so I think I will choose new fabric and see if that will get me more excited about it.

Blog Entries
    I signed up for a Mystery Quilt Sunday at my LQS. They gave us a sheet with fabric requirements (fabrics of our own choice) and cutting instructions. We brought our cut pieces and our machines and notions and we got the instructions in steps. We sewed step one, then got step two, etc.The LQS furnished lunch and beverages. We had a lovely sewing day with a wonderful lunch and comaraderie and came home with a beautiful finished quilt top. Well worth the cost of the day. I think the fee was around $40.00 (not counting the cost of materials).
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Blog Entries
    Sharon, you know I have. I really like them. Can't wait for the next one.
    Happy Quilting.

Blog Entries
    McDaniel I heard you are meeting up with a mutual friend today- I am going tomorrow for breakfast ! Wish we could have planned to meet up all at once

Quote Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post

I love this quilt. Is it too late to get the pattern from somewhere?
    Dina

Mystery quilts are definitely addictive!!! I have done two so far and I am doing the McCalls's one too! Our lqs has done a Superbowl mystery the last two years! They are fantastic! I did mine completely scrappy! No worries about which fabric is going where! For the lqs we sign up in October and get a new clue each month until we get together on Superbowl Sunday to put it all together. It is a blast! We start at 11 in the morning and have snacks and social time and by the time we all left, most were well on their way to having the top done! I can brag a little, I was the only one to get it done that day! Minus the borders! Now I am adding borders and I am actually going to put it on our bed!!! I will look around and see if I can find the camera, if it works and will take a pic to post.

I did two quilts and one mystery bag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Annaquilts; 02-18-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    Anna Quilts

ok
    so not being on here for to long What is a Mystery Quilt? I see Quilters talking about them, so now I ask!

Blog Entries
    I like to pick my colors according to the quilt and Mystery Quilts keep that a mystery, and that drives me crazy. I guess I don't really like surprises. I've done one Mystery Quilt and would have chosen different fabrics had I known what it would end up being like. I guess I'm not a fan of Mystery Quilts.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty3236 View Post
    ok
    so not being on here for to long What is a Mystery Quilt? I see Quilters talking about them, so now I ask!
    Crafty a mystery quilt is one where you don't know what it will look like until you are almost done- so you pick out fabrics according to the first step not knowing if the fabric really will all work together- but I have found that the steps get broken down to the basics , so I end up doing quilt tops that if I had just seen the picture would never have tried because they look so difficult

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyms View Post
    Love your top!!! The colors are great!! From which website did you get this??
    This was the Super Bowl Sunday quilt that I designed and hosted here. There is one in the works for April 14h & 15th and the details will be in the Blocks of the Month category as soon as I get some details worked out.

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    I also did the Super Bowl Sunday one and enjoyed it - however I have to say that I couldn't do it that day because of something else going on and I did cheat and saw what it looked like first - but in my defense, I had downloaded the directions and did intend on making it...
    There will be another one that is a larger quilt and will be a weekend mystery. I'm thinking of maybe doing that one as well since I enjoyed the first one so much.
    Yes, I am working on a new mystery adventure called "Blue Sky's". for April 14th and 15th As soon as I work out some details, the thread will be in the blocks of the month category.

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I love this quilt. Is it too late to get the pattern from somewhere?
    Dina
    I am working to get the directions into one file. As soon as I have that done, I will let everyone know.

Blog Entries
    Lets see what pics I can find Name:  Picture 184.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  771.7 KB These were the 4 Super Bowl Quilts we did as a group Name:  Picture 031.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  765.1 KB And my News Years day Mystery

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast