Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Name that appliqué method >

Name that appliqué method

Name that appliqué method

Old 07-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

You might want to get some practice with your needle turn skills. You can always send them an email. Most kits won't contain detail info on hand applique. They assume you know how to do it.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Oh, so pretty. I love turtles. How can I get a copy? (without driving to San Antonio!)
Old 07-28-2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
Oh, so pretty. I love turtles. How can I get a copy? (without driving to San Antonio!)
Supposedly, the kits are available online after September, but not sure of date. I guess you have to contact the shop for more info. I want one too!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:50 PM

romille,
I'd recommend getting some template plastic & a good marking tool (Crayola Ultra Clean markers are my fave). Trace the pattern right-side up onto the template plastic & cut it out. Then, trace using the template onto the fabric & background (for the background tracing, I mark a couple reference points and then masking tape the pattern & fabric to a large window or glass sliding door.

Because I am just learning needle turn, I use lots of pins.That's not true to the needle turn method, but I was finding at first that without the pins, I was ending up with a very distorted piece. As I've gotten more practice, I'm able to use fewer pins.

I also love Roxanne's EZ Squeezie Glue Baste-It. Sometimes I will use it to baste an item to the background, but I've found it most useful for turning rounded corners. Those little buggers completely bewilder me. I use the water soluble glue to keep the edges from fraying away to nothing while I'm getting the edge set in place.

(The flowers are just a simple basting stitch, so you should be fine cutting those with scissors from the pattern.)
Old 07-28-2015, 10:31 PM

Needle turn. On the flowers can I see embroidered stemans
Old 07-29-2015, 05:18 AM

could be what we used to call"shadow quilting".I did pillow top years ago of an eagle in flight and learned how to do the shadow quilting make the pillow.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:35 AM
pal

It looks to me to be the Eleanor Burns method of sewing the interfacing and batting on to the right side of the fabric and then turning it inside out. I use this method whenever I appliqué birds or animals.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:46 AM

I don't want to butt in about needle turn but if you have any questions about it, I'd be happy to try and help. I teach a needle turn class locally and am working on a pretty ornate applique quilt at the moment.

True needle turn does not use glue and pinning should be kept to a minimum. You need a very fine line drawn on the background fabric to guide where the fabric gets turned under and my secret..... drum roll please..... is to use a wooden toothpick to turn under your fabric. Dampen it in your mouth. That causes the wood grain to lift up and catch the fabric easily. Take teeny tiny stitches and only work on short spaces at a time. I do stuff some of the flower petals with thin batting. I don't cut the back of the quilt top to stuff.

If you have any questions, PM me. I'm always happy to help out a new applique quilter. Here's a picture of one of my applique blocks that I'm working on right now. There are 40 different blocks in this quilt, 8"x8", some with 80+ pieces.
Attached Thumbnails lbb-3.jpg  
Old 07-29-2015, 06:27 AM

Usually the store has a web site and/or a phone number that you can contact them and get the answers you need
Old 07-29-2015, 07:29 AM

There are several different methods for hand appliqueing, including freezer paper, starch & template, needle-turn and back-basting. For projects with relatively large pieces or a minimal number of small pieces, I prefer back-basting. I also use a wooden toothpick for turning the fabric under. My first applique instructor recommended it, and for me, it makes the turning so much easier, especally on points.

My work has a slightly puffy look to it. In fact, someone looked at one of my pictures and asked it I had used trapunto on the paisleys. I could have done reverse applique on them, but chose to leave the layers of fabric to purposely get the puffiness.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526367[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails graceful-rhapsody-block-2-melody.jpg