Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Naming patterns in posts >

Naming patterns in posts

Naming patterns in posts

Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 PM

Default Naming patterns in posts

I love this board and do enjoy all the information and help on the board. I have a suggestion for all those who post those beautiful pictures that I lust to make. It would be so nice if you know the name of the pattern and you posted the name of the pattern in your original post. Many of us don't have the time to read every post thoroughly. We skim through after we have praised your work and after a few pages, we ask for the pattern. I think it would be so nice if we did not have to skim through many pages of posts to see if you answered the pattern question. I know sometimes we cannot remember, but sure would be nice if we posted the pattern name with the original picture posting. Thanks for considering this request.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Power Poster

A lot of traditional public domain patterns have been renamed by modern quilters. A lot of tradional patterns have more than one name as well. Most poster post the pattern names if they know them.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
I love this board and do enjoy all the information and help on the board. I have a suggestion for all those who post those beautiful pictures that I lust to make. It would be so nice if you know the name of the pattern and you posted the name of the pattern in your original post. Many of us don't have the time to read every post thoroughly. We skim through after we have praised your work and after a few pages, we ask for the pattern. I think it would be so nice if we did not have to skim through many pages of posts to see if you answered the pattern question. I know sometimes we cannot remember, but sure would be nice if we posted the pattern name with the original picture posting. Thanks for considering this request.
I agree. I've seen lots of threads where it wasn't mentioned, then someone asked, and then somewhere on another page the original poster answers with the name of it.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:55 PM

I may start a project with a pattern but I alter as I go so the final quilt may look nothing like the pattern.
If you PM the original post you can get quicker answer than scrolling through all the pages.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Yes, this is a suggestion that has been made many times, along with using descriptive titles for posts and several other ideas. It's just not going to happen... Dottymo's comment about sending the original poster a PM is probably your best bet.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

You can always send a PM. Sometimes I forget to post the information. That is called a Senior Moment.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

ROFL, I can't begin to tell you how many times I have said the pattern and source in my original post (if I knew it or it was one of my own quilts and not a client quilt) and had several people reply in the topic "what is the pattern?".

I can remember when that was one of the rules/guidelines for posting to always give pattern name and source or if you made it up to post "this is an original design" and it didn't happen then either.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:41 AM

I've been pleading for this since I joined QB years ago.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Yes, this is a suggestion that has been made many times, along with using descriptive titles for posts and several other ideas. It's just not going to happen... Dottymo's comment about sending the original poster a PM is probably your best bet.
Agreed, to a point. I'm more bothered by non-descript thread names like "do you know..." Do I know what------would 5 more harm the poster? Same with "am I the only one........" Only one---------------what?
Old 01-09-2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Agreed, to a point. I'm more bothered by non-descript thread names like "do you know..." Do I know what------would 5 more harm the poster? Same with "am I the only one........" Only one---------------what?
That's one of my pet peeves here. Especially since this board allows a lot of text in the subject line. I cringe a little when I see a subject line like "help" .