Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nap from minky coming through quilt top >

Nap from minky coming through quilt top

Nap from minky coming through quilt top

Old 08-01-2020, 06:46 AM

So the problem is the fuzz is coming to the top of the quilt?

I've only used minky a few times and I have a friend who has used it a lot. It hasn't been an issue but it was all long arm. Did have stretching problems once when my friend set up a crib quilt and then didn't quilt it for a couple of months, the minky sagged quite dreadfully but was still usable once I removed the partial stitching and turned it 90 degrees.

I know from garment/toy construction and plush fabrics that you have to prepare your seam allowance first and then go back over the seams by hand/brush and pull the fibers back out to make the seams nice/disappear. Those little manicure sticks are good for things like that, or maybe a toothbrush. Boring task but not so bad to do while watching tv or something.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Here is the problem, a woven and a knit. The sharp needle will cut the knit causing it to run when washed. But, all that aside, use a new needle, it is pushing the fabric instead of piercing it.
You could stabilize the minky with a interfacing to stop to problem. Also, use a woven fabric that is a little closer woven

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-01-2020 at 10:46 AM.