Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Native American quilt pattern >

Native American quilt pattern

Native American quilt pattern

Old 06-19-2021, 12:14 PM

This is a Lakota Sioux cradle which I think could be converted to a pattern fairly easily.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/634022453764904542/
Old 06-19-2021, 05:53 PM

https://www.swdecoratives.com/shop/Fabrics.htm
Old 06-20-2021, 04:25 AM

I am not Native American, but I have worked with a tribal group for some time. I would suggest that you ask you friend to provide you with some of the symbols of her tribe. For instance the group I worked with used the turtle as one of their traditional symbols. Another source is to view any of their tribal publications. magazines, newspapers, (all online these days) notices on signage near their reservation. There you will find accurate traditional symbols. Most are stylized interpretations of natural objects that could easily be used in a quilt. In my area of Michigan the tribe also celebrates babies in the spring with a strawberry festival and ceremony. (Berries are the shape of a heart) so using strawberries would be appropriate as a symbol or part of the quilting itself.

But in the end to be accurate and sensitive, ask her tribal name and region. Contact the Cultural Department on one of their reservations and you can gain a mountain of information about appropriate use of symbols. You are on a cultural journey. My one caution is don't give her a southwest inspired quilt if her tribe is from say, the mid-west or northeast. It might be well meaning but not sensitive. I would be like giving an Irishman a quilt covered with fleur de lis.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I am not Native American, but I have worked with a tribal group for some time. I would suggest that you ask you friend to provide you with some of the symbols of her tribe. For instance the group I worked with used the turtle as one of their traditional symbols. Another source is to view any of their tribal publications. magazines, newspapers, (all online these days) notices on signage near their reservation. There you will find accurate traditional symbols. Most are stylized interpretations of natural objects that could easily be used in a quilt. In my area of Michigan the tribe also celebrates babies in the spring with a strawberry festival and ceremony. (Berries are the shape of a heart) so using strawberries would be appropriate as a symbol or part of the quilting itself.

But in the end to be accurate and sensitive, ask her tribal name and region. Contact the Cultural Department on one of their reservations and you can gain a mountain of information about appropriate use of symbols. You are on a cultural journey. My one caution is don't give her a southwest inspired quilt if her tribe is from say, the mid-west or northeast. It might be well meaning but not sensitive. I would be like giving an Irishman a quilt covered with fleur de lis.
Agreed! Her heritage is from a Sioux tribe from the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota. I'll take your advice and try to get more information. No way was I planning anything with a Southwest theme. What I have seen so far is the Lakota star or also called the Lone Star. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by beckyboo1 View Post
A co-worker is pregnant and wants to do a Native American theme to honor her heritage. Does anyone have a favorite pattern they've used?
Northcott.com has a free pattern called. Sun Valley.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:52 AM

OH, if you want Native American themed patterns please check with Kokopelli in New Mexico. They have the best shop and I stopped there last summer and purchased many patterns and unique fabric. Here is the link: https://www.swdecoratives.com/
Old 06-20-2021, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by beckyboo1 View Post
Agreed! Her heritage is from a Sioux tribe from the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota. I'll take your advice and try to get more information. No way was I planning anything with a Southwest theme. What I have seen so far is the Lakota star or also called the Lone Star. Thanks for your input.
Rosebud has some beautiful scenery--perfectly prairie. Here's a link to a video from Akta Lakota Museum that talks about star quilts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZTN3Yz9irE&t=5s

The Akta Lakota Museum is located north of the Rosebud reservation.

http://aktalakota.stjo.org/site/Page...e=alm_homepage