Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Necchi QS60 and Elna 720 >

Necchi QS60 and Elna 720

Necchi QS60 and Elna 720

Old 04-08-2016, 11:55 AM

Default Necchi QS60 and Elna 720

Does anyone have a Necchi QS60 sewing machine? I think this might be like a Janome 6300, but not sure. I am curious how this machine has worked for you.

I would like to upgrade from my Janome QC 4800. Of top importance is a minimum of 9 inch harp space (FMQing). I primarily use my machines to piece and FMQ. I also like to make bags/purses, so I would like to be able to easily handle multiple layers of fabric, interfacing and batting that go into a purse. My ideal budget would keep me under $1,500, and I don’t see myself going above $2,000.

I did consider a Juki TL2010Q, and while adequate, it just wasn’t love, and for 1k, I would like a bit more love!! Plus this will be the machine I will be using for many years going forward.

I also tried the Necchi QS60. I have to say I was impressed. FMQing felt effortless on it (I feel like I fight my current machine, and I didn’t feel it was quite as effortless on the Juki). The machine actually feels like it is a tank! Beautiful stitches. It does have the 9 inch harp space, but more of a minimalist machine, which is okay – I really don’t need hundreds of stiches (I rarely use the extra stiches on my 4800). But I know nothing about Necchi’s, and it is hard to find info. The saleslady said this machine and the Elna 720 sitting next to it were built on the same base, and we almost the same machine (more stitches on the Elna, and a couple of other upgraded features). It seems that Janome produces the Necchi's here now.

I have also tried the Elna Excellence 720. Loved this machine! So quiet, smooth, beautiful stitches, FMQing was also near effortless. Up at the top of my budget. It is also hard to find as much info on this one (though I gather it is a Janome twin as well). My heart right now pulls me toward this one.

I remember trying a Janome 6500 and 6600 about 3 or 4 years ago, it seems not too long after the 6600 or 7700 came out. I don’t remember being particularly impressed with the feel of the machine. And the FMQing on it at that time didn’t feel much off what I could do on my 4800. Of course they cost more as well at that time. What I’m trying to figure out is that if Janome makes Elna’s, and they have twin machines – how can they feel so different? I plan on test driving some Janome’s this weekend to see if I still feel that way.

Any thoughts/experiences with either of these machines? Other machines I have tested are a Brother Innovis, and I didn’t like that machine, as well as a Pfaff Expression 4.2. The Pfaff is over the top of my budget, and I worry that in so many reviews it sounds like it can be quite the finicky machine with threads, tension, etc. I liked how the Elna felt more than the Pfaff as well.

TIA,
Dawn
Old 04-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Banned

Yes, Janome makes the Elna machines, they own the Elna name just as they do New Home. Janome builds the Necchi machines but doesn't own the name.

Cari
Old 04-08-2016, 01:16 PM

So does that mean while Janome "builds" Elna's and Necchi's - they aren't necessarily the same build as the Janome machine? So when one says the Elna xxx is a twin to the Janome xxx, it really means they have they same features - but they might be built to different specifications?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
So does that mean while Janome "builds" Elna's and Necchi's - they aren't necessarily the same build as the Janome machine? So when one says the Elna xxx is a twin to the Janome xxx, it really means they have they same features - but they might be built to different specifications?
Its probably similar to how brother and babylock are. Babylock buys brother machines, puts their own software and outer frame on it , than puts the name on it. So while brother and babylocks look the same on the inside and have the same stitches and features there are a few differences, the embroidery designs will be different, brothers have the my custom stitch but babylocks do not, and the outside looks different. They are 2 different companies with similar machiines, that what they mean for necchi. janomes build the base machines and Necchi buys them and adds their little extras that make it different, whereas elna is owned by janome so the machines should be essentially the same with a different look to the outside frame but all the features should be the same. It is complicated when other companies buy machines they don't make. Singer just bought the janome 6600 which is now the S18, so it is a singer machine made by janome. The juki straight stitch goes by many names brother, babylock, janome all have their models of it so thats why it pays to research machines so you can get the best price and not worry about a name because it might not even be made by that company. One model of 3 machines might be cheaper and your paying more just for a name on it when the insides are the same exact machine.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Banned

I know that the Elna embroidery machines have the same computer and software in them, even the built in designs are exactly the same as the Memory Craft(Janome) machines so I'd feel confident saying the sewing machines are the same. They just have a different name on them and probably cost more(the embroidery machines do).

Cari
Old 04-08-2016, 04:24 PM

My Elna Quilt Pro Queen is basically a Janome (can't remember the #) but Elna's seem to sell a little cheaper. When you google the Elna for a manual, on line you used to (may still)get the Janome manual. when I bought it and had not gotten delivery it put me into a panic until I read more about why the on-line manual was Janome's.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:54 PM

I bought a Singer S16 which is a Janome 1600 clone. I use Janome attachments and have a Janome extension table on the Singer. The Singer S18 is a clone to the Janome 6500. Necchi HD22 is the same machine as a Janome, I think the 100 but forgetting the Janome model right now. Other than gold versus purple/blue I see no difference in the S16 and the 1600 and it is a solid straight stitch mechanical machine, much cheaper than the Janome and I like the gold better so worked out for me. I think the Necchi QS60 is the same as the Janome 6300 so I would look at which one is cheaper if you have dealer options in your area.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:17 PM

Thank you for the explanation on the intermarriage between companies and their machines. Had no idea that there were so many twins out there! Definitely had no idea that Singer buys the Janome 6500 and then makes it their own. Of course when I stopped at the Joann's near my house, they didn't have that model. This is all very helpful info and opens up my search just a bit more. Hopefully I can test a Janome 6500, as well as other machines, tomorrow. And if I like a particular machine with a twin, like the 6500, then that gives me a possible option in the Singer, which can be found at a really good price point right now. Which then possibly gives me some bargaining chips with a dealer. Excited to try more machines tomorrow!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Banned

SVP(who owns the Singer name) contracted with Janome to build some of their machines. Singer didn't buy the models to use as their own. Singer is only a name owned by a holding company, it hasn't been the Singer as we knew it for many years. So having a Singer machine twin to a Janome may or may not be a bargaining chip. I've not heard anything bad about the Janome built Singers, which is probably why Singer did it in the first place. It's been a long time since Singers reputation had good marks.

Cari
Old 04-09-2016, 07:25 AM

That may be (no bargaining chip - other than the fact of possibly coming down in price a little to have the sale as opposed to me buying elsewhere). And with the Singer built by Janome I would consider it. Singer not built by Janome, wouldn't go there, at least not at that price point. Which means I have options for the features I want! I found another shop near me that only carries Necchi's. I was quite impressed with the sewing on the model I tried (not so impressed with the grumpy ladies at that shop). So I'm hoping they have same model at this other shop and I can spend a bit more time on that machine. And of course Janome. A different shop across town, but the gentleman was very knowledgeable and friendly on the phone. I think they would be a joy to work with. Don't mind going across town (about 40 minutes) for a shop I feel good about.