Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Neckcoolers

Does anyone know what neck coolers are filled with,they are about 36' long,made like a tube to fill. You can run cold water over and they enlarge. Put around neck to cool in the heat.

np3
    Blog Entries
    It is a special gel pellet. I can't remember the exact name. Did you do a search for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Oswalt
    Does anyone know what neck coolers are filled with,they are about 36' long,made like a tube to fill. You can run cold water over and they enlarge. Put around neck to cool in the heat.
    Water retaining crystals like you would put in hanging baskets. I got mine form a garden centre.

Best becks

From the "Hugs of Western Kentucky" site for soldiers:
    Items

Hugs (cool ties) Instructions

1. Use 100% cotton fabric (use beige to darker browns) , 45" - 52" wide. (fundraiser ones can be in other colors)

2. Cut strips in 5"widths of fabric.

3. Fold strip in half lengthwise, right sides together (Inside out).

4. Sew down long side, using a 3/8" seam allowance backstitching at start and stop. Use small stitch (12 stitches per inch or 2.0 setting). Sew second run the same way for double stitching to make it hold up.

5. Sew across ONE END ONLY.

6. Turn tie right side out (using a " or 3/8" piece of metal tubing makes it easy, starting at sewn end pushing it in and then sliding down tubing)

7. This step is optional but makes it easier for sewing the rest. Press lightly along the seam itself to "open" it somewhat, then press tie flat with seam along one edge.

8. Fold tie in and lightly press center to mark it allowing " from open end. Mark 10" - 11" from each side of center with tailor's chalk, which will leave 20" - 22" in the center (this is where the polymer crystals will be held).

9. Locate the mark closest to the "closed" end and sew across it. Double stitch.

10. Using a funnel, push tie up on end of funnel till it passes the mark at the end not sewn and put 2 teaspoons of polymer crystals. NOTE: too many crystals will prevent the cool tie from draping around the neck.

11. Sew the mark nearest the open end closed trapping the crystals inside the middle.

12. Turn in a " seam allowance on the unfinished end and sew across end to close tie.

13. You have finished making a HUG for one of our troops. Congratulations...

Smellies (fresheners) Instructions

1. Place uncooked rice in a bowl and add 5 drops of Essential oil (for fragrance) per cup of rice. Mix well and place in a Ziploc baggie and allow it to sit for 24 to 36 hrs.

2. Cut material into 4" x 6" pieces.

3. Fold in 1/2 and sew 2 sides together with " seams leaving one end open.

4. Turn right side out and put enough rice to fill (not overfill) the bag (approx 1/4 - 1/3 cup).

5. Turn " in and sew across to close. Takes 2 for each one of our troops (two feet = two smellies)

6. You have finished making Smellies for one of our troops. Congratulations...

You can get the polymer in the garden shops of most Walmarts.

I use 1/8 of a tsp in each pocket of a product that I purchased at Lowes. It was in the garden section in a 1 lb. bag. It is called "Soil Moist" granules.

I found mine at Michael's. They were with the silk flower supplies.

Thank you for the quick reply. I enjoy this site and joined today. Have a good evening everyone.

Blog Entries
    A couple of weekends ago a friend of mine and I made 60 helmet coolers and 32 cooling scarves like these and sent them to troops in Afghanistan. We have a Soldiers Angels group at our church, and we do stuff like this all the time. It's really a neat thing...you can use cut up sheets to make them, just dye them dark beige or khaki green.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    use the "wet crystals" found in the garden section or even the wedding section at your local DIY or craft store.

If you need some let me know my Hobby lobby has them in stock right now. I saw a 6oz jar for $10.00. That will make a dozen or more cool ties!

I found some on ebay with free shipping. Can't remember the site.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    found this..the directions are now given right at the water-sorb site! This is where I buy my crystals in bulk for my container plants!

http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm

Soil Moist is what I use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    found this..the directions are now given right at the water-sorb site! This is where I buy my crystals in bulk for my container plants!

http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm
    I like the water- sorb it stays cooler longer.There site its 19.95 for a 1lb bag no shipping charge I order mine have them in less than 5days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Oswalt
    Don't use a fan when you have one on. People who worked in a factory in our town were given the neck coolers one summer by management.....there was no AC just fans. Too many people were getting rashes and stiff necks so they had to stop using them.

Thanks for the info.

Water retaining crystals.

it's called "soil release"...you can find it in the garden stores...it is mixed with soil to hold water during dry seasons. Why not try rice??? It gets cold in the freezer and is just as refreshing...no wet hanging around your neck!

Blog Entries
    Hobby Lobby is where I bought mine, in the floral dept.

They are called water polymer crystals. You can find them online at www.The ArtisticShop.com. Hope this helps.

The ones at Hobby Lobby are huge. They are not what you use in the neck scarves. They swell up so big so they can support your flower stems. Too big to use in the neck scarves. Sorry, but I don't recommend them.

Rice will not stay cold. The scarves are soaked in water and then put in the freezer to freeze. There is no drippy mess with these scarves. I wrap mine around a cool whip container to freeze. It conforms better to my neck. I love them and they do keep me cool.

I don't remember what they are called but I have some left from a couple of years ago. If you are interested let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by willquilt81
    it's called "soil release"...you can find it in the garden stores...it is mixed with soil to hold water during dry seasons. Why not try rice??? It gets cold in the freezer and is just as refreshing...no wet hanging around your neck!
    I make mine for soldiers and they don't have access to freezers in Afghanistan!

It is called Watersorb. You can goggle and find a site to
    order it on line. A 4 lb pkg is about $34 with free shipping.
    You only use 1 1/2 teaspoons per neck cooler so goes a long ways. After using let it dry thoroughly and the
    crystals dry down to nothing again and you can use it next
    season. These are great for anyone working outside in this
    heat. I buy the big bag and share it with friends.

I used to have a hard time finding them but noticed that Lowe's was carrying them this year. Be sure you get the container that is just pure pellets because they do come packaged with something else mixed in - don't recall if its a filler, fertilizer pellets or what now. Will get back later with the name if no one else has come up with it. Incidentally, there is a group that collects these to send to servicemen and women overseas. I spoke with the person a couple of months ago and they are always looking for them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast